Director, Communications – North America
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Communications – North America
The North America communications team supports the region’s business priorities by working across business units to drive strategic communications programs that target key stakeholders.
As part of a global team and the North America Marketing and Communications organization, the Communications team plays a significant role in managing Mastercard’s corporate reputation, policy and regulatory communications as well as furthering positioning as a technology company in the payments industry.
The Director Communications, North America will report to the Senior Vice President of Communications, North America and will be responsible for advancing the company’s perception among customers, media, influencers, cardholders as well as internal audiences. This role will have a particular focus on policy and regulatory communications. The ideal candidate should have a combination of Washington DC and corporate public affairs experience and a strong track record of media relations.
This individual will work with a team of high-performing individuals to look holistically at where and how the company shows up. The candidate will connect the dots between the day-to-day products and solutions, thought leadership and the greater promise of Mastercard’s ability to do well and do good.
• Works in collaboration with the Executive Vice President and Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications, as well as the senior North American leadership team to advance the company’s reputation among key stakeholders.
• Key player in company’s public policy and regulatory communications team, liaison with DC teams and legal.
• Develops the preparation for and plays a primary role in the communication of new products, new customer wins, speaking and thought-leadership platforms
• Coordinates activities with the senior vice president of communications, as well as other appropriate internal and external resources
• Provides effective direction and counsel on executive speaking and editorial opportunities
• Handles sensitive/confidential information in a professional matter
• Mentors a team of individuals across a range of topics relevant to the region
• Leverages relationships with key media, including Washington DC media and industry analysts to deliver a holistic traditional/earned media program in support of public policy initiatives, planned product/service launches and announcements
• Nurtures and develops positioning for products and services that will help advance the company’s corporate value story
• Use measurement tools to assess the impact of communications programs to refine activities
Selected candidate will:
• Help shape messaging, develop programming and execute communications campaigns in support of the Mastercard Innovation narrative, with specific direct support for public policy and regulatory initiatives and issues management as well as digital payments.
• Develop PR plans draft press releases, Q&As, holding statements, executive presentations and other external-facing content.
• Proactively develop new story lines, media campaigns, and subjects of interest to business, technology, broadcast, industry trade and consumer media that drive 3rd party endorsement and editorial with media, industry influencers and blogging community.
• Establish & maintain a traditional, digital and social media footprint for the location and actively cultivate relationships and inclusion for Mastercard within the Washington DC and New York communities.
All About You
• Seasoned communications professional with a desire to work out of current comfort zone and while leveraging past mix of experience in a corporate, public affairs, agency and/or journalism.
• Earned reputation as a subject matter expert in DC media as well as technology and innovation • Proven capabilities as a writer and content producer that spans across traditional, print, social, digital and event speaking.
• Strong relationships and proven track record managing and driving editorial through aggressive media relations and content development/digital engagement strategies on a local, national, regional and global stage.
• Proven experience managing resources in a matrix organization with the ability to indirectly influence people and resources.
• Must possess a curious business mind that loves to problem solve.
• Strong diplomatic skills.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-116323
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-17