Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Communications and Outreach, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) is seeking a dynamic, creative individual to lead its communications and outreach program. The Director will work directly with the SEAS Dean and leadership team to develop marketing and communications strategies and tactics to enhance the school’s reputation and rankings, and attract excellent faculty, staff and students.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading the SEAS communications team to promote the research, education, and outreach programs of the school, its nine departments, and various programs and units, to a wide variety of stakeholders. These include students, faculty and staff, alumni, industry partners, news media, and other academic institutions.
- Developing communications plans to help achieve the strategic objectives of the school’s leadership and strengthen the school’s reputation with key audiences.
- Serving as the SEAS liaison with University Communications (UB’s central communications division) and University Advancement. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring all communications and marketing activities are in alignment with UB’s identity and brand strategy, communications policies, institutional standards and procedures; working in close partnership with University Communications for marketing and news content development and media outreach; and generally, resolving communications issues, providing guidance and sharing best practices.
- Managing the integration and coordination of all aspects of the school’s communications and marketing efforts, including advertising campaigns, print collateral, social media presence and engagement, news content , web presence and accessibility, digital signage, and other digital communications.
- Working closely with University Communications to identify visibility-building and reputation-enhancing news stories and faculty experts to promote the school’s research and educational programs worldwide.
- Developing, writing, implementing, and managing content across a range of channels and platforms (magazine, website, email marketing, social media, etc.).
- Tracking engagement across various communications platforms and making data-driven decisions.
- Assuring that SEAS’ communications reflect its diverse student body and support initiatives aimed at increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the school.
- Directing and managing a network of vendors (writers, photographers, designers, printers, etc.) to produce SEAS communications and marketing materials.
- Overseeing the growth and development of the school’s K-12 outreach programs, including year-round partnerships with local schools, summer camps, and visits to UB, with the aim of increasing diversity in STEM educational programs.
- Providing communication support to SEAS departments, programs, and offices to develop marketing materials (print, digital, web, social media, etc.).
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About the University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in developing communications strategies and implementing communication, marketing, and outreach initiatives
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiencies with communication tactics and technologies
- Proficiency in writing, editing, and information architecture, with knowledge of graphic design, photography, videography, and content management systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and success with using social media platforms and social media marketing to build reputation and brand awareness
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent people skills
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience leading a communications and marketing team in an academic environment
Salary Range $75,000 – $88,000
Campus North Campus
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is a background check required for this posting? No
Contact’s Name Ria Iliadou
Contact’s Title Associate Director of HR
Contact’s Email email@example.com
Contact’s Phone 716-645-1407
Deadline for Internal Applicants 08/25/2022
Deadline for External Applicants 09/09/2022
Date to be filled 09/15/2022
Number of References Required 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Please indicate your current employment affiliation with the University at Buffalo.
- Faculty Student Association (FSA)
- Research Foundation Employee
- State Classified
- State Professional
- UB Foundation
- No Current Employment Affiliation
* How did you first hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Personal Referral
Job posted: 2022-08-27