Director of Communications and Public Affairs
DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC AFFAIRS
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is one of the most exciting, dynamic organizations in the non-profit and technology worlds. They are seeking a Director of Communications and Public Affairs to develop and design integrated communications and public affairs campaigns that support the ESA’s member advocacy work in D.C. and key states. This exciting opportunity is located at ESA’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs, the Director of Communications and Public Affairs ensures that the association is prepared with the necessary communications tools to effectively advocate in support of the U.S. video game industry across a wide array of policy and legislative opportunities through written materials, digital assets, and other positioning vehicles via an established network of media and other stakeholder contacts at the state and federal levels.
The Director is an integral member of the Communications & Public Affairs team and collaborates cross departmentally to advance the association’s communications, public affairs, and member advocacy goals. This is a sole contributor role but part of a high functioning team. The Director develops, curates, implements, and measures the effectiveness of a variety of public affairs communications campaigns and materials, including web and social content, issues toolkits, and other policy-related creative assets to advance the ESA’s voice and perspective across owned and paid digital platforms and channels and through earned media. This role also helps ensure “rapid response” protocols are in place to support the association’s priorities, enhancing the ESA’s presence and influence in D.C. and priority states as determined by dynamic public policy and legislative landscapes.
▪ Develop, produce, and update public affairs toolkits, which include positioning and reference materials, talking points, FAQs, fact sheets and other creative assets.
▪ Collaborate with larger Communications & Public Affairs team to support strategies and plans and ensure consistency and accuracy of messaging.
▪ Foster cross-departmental coordination and alignment to develop programs that inform, educate, and demonstrate the positive impact of the U.S. video game industry on people, entertainment, and the economy. ▪ Support coordination of public affairs consultants, as needed.
▪ Serve as a point of contact for media inquiries related to public policy and legislative issues.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills
▪ Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail
▪ Strong project management and leadership skills
▪ Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
▪ Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
▪ Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate when appropriate
▪ Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
▪ Ability to thrive in dynamic environments
▪ Ability to travel as required
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
▪ Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field ▪ Minimum of five years of progressively responsible, professional experience in public affairs communications
▪ Minimum of two years of working in D.C. on Capitol Hill, a government agency or trade association ▪ Demonstrated experience implementing integrated communications and public affairs programs at federal and state levels
▪ Digital fluency and agility with tools that help advance and measure effectiveness of messages through online, social media, and digital communications; knowledge of WordPress is preferred
▪ Media relations experience and relationships at state and federal levels
▪ Experience managing relationships with consultants
HOW TO APPLY
If you believe you meet the requirements, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to the following job link:
Additional inquiries and questions can be emailed to Beth Cessna at email@example.com or contact 202-232-1765.
ABOUT THE ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE ASSOCIATION (ESA)
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) serves as the voice and advocate for the U.S. video game industry. Its members are the innovators, creators, publishers, and business leaders that are reimagining entertainment and transforming how we interact, learn, connect, and play. The ESA works to expand and protect the dynamic marketplace for video games through innovative and engaging initiatives that showcase the positive impact of video games on people, culture, and the economy. For more information, visit the ESA’s website or follow the ESA on Twitter @theESA.
With offices located in Washington, DC, near the Gallery Place/Chinatown and Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center Metro stations, ESA offers competitive salaries and bonuses, generous benefits, and a commitment to work/life balance. Remote work with voluntary office access during COVID quarantine.
ESA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
ABOUT CESSNA & ASSOCIATES, LLC
Cessna & Associates, LLC is a boutique HR consultancy partnering with mission driven, non-profit organizations. Our goal is to identify the best potential candidates that the market has to offer. www.cessnasearch.com
The Power of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fuels Success
Cessna & Associates embraces and celebrates the strength that diversity brings to our organization. Just as we are deliberate in our own pursuit of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, our efforts support our clients’ DEI success. We drive every search with an unyielding focus to create an even playing field for all candidates and assess their ability to be “culture adds,” not merely “fits” for our clients. Our team builds and nurtures this rich tapestry of diversity for ourselves and for our clients.
Job posted: 2021-05-17