Director, Communications & Public Affairs
Global Strategy Group
New York, NY
Global Strategy Group works at the intersection of business, politics, and causes. We are excited to search for motivated, organized, and goal-oriented individuals to join our growing Communications and Public Affairs practice.
Directors are expected to take the lead on project work, and juggle multiple assignments and deadlines simultaneously. Successful candidates will have experience implementing strategic communications and public affairs programs and tactics across a variety of workstreams, which may include pitching stories to reporters, developing communications strategies across digital or social campaigns, campaign management, coalition building, community engagement, and grassroots advocacy for non-profit and corporate clients.
- Participate in strategic communications planning initiatives that incorporate traditional and digital communications channels and platforms
- Develop, manage, and execute public affairs campaigns for corporate and non-profit clients on wide-ranging local, state, and national issues
- Manage multiple workstreams for projects, as well as those of more junior team members, by setting priorities and delegating to adhere to timelines and meet deadlines
- Write and develop campaign plans and communications materials, maintain client relations, coordinate and conduct community outreach and field plans, and manage coalitions
- Work directly with reporters to place and inform stories, and serve as on-the-record spokesperson for some clients
- Establish and cultivate strong client relationships and successfully manage day-to-day needs and expectations, while contributing to organic growth through new project opportunities
- May supervise and mentor junior staff and independent consultants
- Work closely with other internal departments on cross-discipline projects
- Work with senior practitioners across the firm on business planning and new business development, including pitch presentations, RFP responses, lead generation, and networking
- Proactively manage administration of ongoing client engagements, including utilization, profitability, and regular reporting
- 8+ years’ experience in strategic communications or public affairs within the corporate, government, non-profit or agency spaces, political campaigns, community relations, or a related industry
- Experience developing and executing campaign plans including grassroots advocacy/field plans
- Experience developing and executing communications plans and media relations strategy
- Experience using digital communications and social media platforms for clients; experience in social media advocacy a plus
- Experience building relationships, as well as managing and organizing political and community outreach on political and advocacy issue campaigns is preferred
- Strong writing skills are a must
- Strong knowledge of New York politics and media landscape is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines with a willingness to be part of a team working towards a common goal
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple projects at once while maintaining high quality work product and careful attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, political science, public affairs, public policy, other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please send your information our way!
When submitting your resume, please include a cover letter which highlights your relevant experience, along with why you want to be a part of the team at GSG. We are interested in candidates who align with our mission and want to contribute to our continued growth.
Candidates who match the needs for the position will be contacted via email.
Global Strategy Group, LLC.
Honored to be named Public Affairs Agency of the Year by The Holmes Report, we are distinguished by our depth of talent, influential clients, and winning track record. Battle-tested in the trenches of corporate reputation management and political campaigns, we bring unrivaled commitment to every assignment.
Our culture of independence, integrity, and responsiveness established by our co-founders two decades ago drives our team of nearly 100 smart, strategic, and creative professionals today.
Our clients—which include Fortune 100 companies, national political leaders, associations and nonprofits—rely on us for candid guidance and fast, effective execution. We provide a combination of critical thinking and on-the-ground results that many other firms talk about, but few deliver.
Global Strategy Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At GSG, we are distinguished by our depth of talent. Our people are team players, straight shooters and problem solvers. We bring passion, energy and drive to everything we do. This all comes from our closely-held firm values, which have guided us since the day GSG opened its doors. We are committed to ensuring that our workplace provides a diverse, inclusive, and culturally rich atmosphere and are always looking for talented individuals to add to our culture.
We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to: race, religion or creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, uniform service member status, or any other protected class under federal, state or local statute.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-08