Director, Communications & Public Affairs
The Director of Communications & Public Affairs will develop and implement strategies to support the IFA’s mission to protect, promote and enhance franchising. Working with senior leadership of the organization and within the Government Relations & Public Affairs Department, he/she will oversee all aspects of external communications including traditional news releases, statements, speeches, op-eds, industry communications, design copy, web content, and social media content. The position will manage a broad range of issues and projects in coordination with the Senior Vice President of Government Relations & Public Affairs, including recruiting, educating, and activating third parties to engage on issues that impact the industry, proactively developing and creating content to promote the IFA agenda, developing executive communications and reacting to media inquiries and managing/anticipating future public policy and reputational opportunities and threats to the franchise sector. Successful candidates must be able to distill complex topics into comprehensive, easily understandable communications materials intended for multiple audiences.
This position will report to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations & Public Affairs and work closely with IFA lobbyists, policy staff, and cross-functionally within the membership, marketing and events functions of the IFA. Additionally, the position will directly manage budgets and outside / retained public affairs and advertising firms.
- Support IFA’s government relations & public affairs team by writing and editing high-quality internal and external communications materials, including traditional media correspondence, news releases, statements, speeches, op-eds, advertising, and web and social media content.
- Serve as an association spokesperson.
- Build relationships with and position IFA as a strategic partner with issue-specific reporters, media organizations, industry audiences, colleague organizations, and other external audiences.
- Develop and implement an ongoing content strategy working with IFA departments, IFA Foundation, IFA member companies and allied / partner organizations.
- Create original content for and serve in an advisory capacity for the industry publication staff of writers.
- Provide final editorial review of communications materials and association correspondence.
- Ensure consistency of format and messaging across all communications materials.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience on Capitol Hill, in an agency, trade association, corporate public affairs or in related political/issues management communications.
- Impeccable writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Self-starter with a strong desire to excel in a performance-driven culture.
- Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Familiarity with state & local, beltway and national media.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the changing media landscape and an understanding of how to write for different platforms and audiences.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Creative thinker.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, journalism or related field
- Comfortable engaging / interacting with executives.
To apply, send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to email@example.com.
About the International Franchise Association (IFA)
The International Franchise Association (IFA) is the world’s oldest and largest organization representing franchising worldwide. For over sixty years, the IFA has worked to educate Franchisors and Franchisees on beneficial methods and business practices to improve franchising. IFA is a non-profit trade association that works through its government relations and public policy, media relations and educational programs to protect, enhance and promote franchising and over 700,000 franchise establishments that support nearly 7.6 million direct jobs, $674.3 billion of economic output for the U.S. economy and 2.5 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
Job posted: 2021-03-09