Director, Communications & Public Affairs, World-Wide Government Affairs & Policy
Johnson & Johnson is seeking a Director of Communications & Public Affairs for its World-Wide Government Affairs and Policy (WWGA&P) team. The director will report to the Global Leader for Public Affairs and will be based in Washington, DC.
The Director will develop and implement strategies to reach audiences at state and federal levels within the U.S.; and partner with colleagues globally to develop and implement strategies in priority markets.
Key responsibilities include working with the Johnson & Johnson enterprise communications team to build and amplify content; vet reporter inquiries on topics related to Public Affairs; draft key documents including messaging, speeches and testimony; and review external content including social media posts and provide strategic counsel key global internal team members. This role requires 15-20% domestic and/or international travel.
- Collaborate with colleagues and external consultants to build and implement campaigns – including media relations, traditional and digital advertising efforts and advocacy.
- Use understanding of media to target specific media channels (broadcast, print and online) and train spokespeople with company messaging.
- Implement digital and social media activations as a key component of public affairs campaigns.
- Proactively monitor policy, advocacy, and media landscape to build policy communications and advocacy strategies.
- Develop policy communications materials for advocacy and public affairs impact including responses to Congressional inquiries.
- Develop content for WWGA&P leaders and internal J&J executives, including written testimony, official correspondence (e.g., letters), speeches, and corresponding social media content. This includes leading legal, regulatory and compliance reviews of all content.
- Staff WWGA&P senior leaders and other J&J executives for panels and media appearances.
- Lead and drive performance of external consultants and agency partners.
BA/BS Required; MA/MS Preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of proven experience in government relations, public affairs, communications, healthcare, policy, advocacy relations, or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 years working in a political environment including leadership position on an issue-based and/or candidate campaign required.
- Experience leading coordinated global communications, advocacy & public affairs initiatives required.
- Experience working with media and speaking on the record to reporters as well as developing written statements in response to inquiries required.
- Experience interacting with multiple healthcare audiences, particularly physicians, patients, and policy professionals.
- Strong understanding of the health care policy environment.
- Ability to lead multiple issues across local and national governments, prioritize and adjust strategies mid-course, when vital.
- Strong collaborator with experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to partner with various audiences, both internally and externally.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-09