Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Communications and Public Relations
gener8tor’s turnkey platform for the creative economy connects startup founders, musicians, artists, investors, universities and corporations. The gener8tor platform includes pre-accelerators, accelerators, corporate programming, skills, conferences and fellowships.
gener8tor seeks a Director of Communications and Public Relations to join our rapidly growing team. This position will report to the Vice President of Public Affairs and be in the unique position of national communications and public relations at the center of the startup, policy, workforce development, arts, and music ecosystems.
The Director of Communications and Public Relations will serve as a liaison and a lead communicator to the public, communities, and to press outlets through traditional, social, digital, and evolving innovative media platforms. gener8tor is a mission-driven venture funder and national accelerator network that helps startups, workers, musicians, artists, companies, and universities across race, place, and gender. We are seeking an experienced professional who has a varied communications background across traditional and non-traditional media ventures. The Director will drive external communications by developing a comprehensive strategy to place gener8tor’s focus on under-invested communities and business sectors at the center of national business, finance, entertainment, and policy conversations.
- Commitment to equity across race, place and gender.
- 5-7 years experience in communications, public relations and/or journalism with a mix of experience in media relations, digital communication, social media, policy communications, thought leadership, and crisis communications.
- A combination of education and commensurate experience.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, relationship-building and creative storytelling.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills with the ability to replicate the voice of leaders in the company and gener8tor’s brand voice.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly independent environment and juggle multiple ongoing projects, responsibilities and relationships.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a self-starter.
- Experience writing, editing, and planning thought-leadership opportunities, media placements, and bylines.
- Passion and curiosity to research and learn how gener8tor’s services, investments, and programs work to be able to communicate our value beyond surface level discussions.
- A willingness to explore and experiment with emerging communications technology and advanced media platforms to promote gener8tor news, stories, and brands.
- Flexibility to travel and work some nights and weekends.
- A “no job is beneath me” mentality.
- Commitment to equity across race, place and gender.
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President of Public Affairs to lead, manage, and strategize public relations, media engagement, social media, digital, and external communications across all company divisions and product lines.
- Oversee and leverage gener8tor’s traditional, social, digital, and emerging media channels to amplify campaigns and support core media relations activities.
- Identify, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships and relationships that support the current and emerging communications priorities and position us as an innovative leader in the current and future fields in which gener8tor works.
- Identify innovative opportunities to elevate gener8tor’s brand.
- Lead media outreach initiatives inclusive of pitching, handling media queries, and managing media relationships.
- Identify appropriate spokespeople and prepare them for interviews, including media trainings, message development, and internal briefings.
- Promote and secure media placements for gener8tor accelerator and portfolio companies.
- Implement an editorial calendar to manage and align gener8tor’s communications program
- With the Vice President of Public Affairs, oversee the development and placement of executive communications and thought leadership—including byline and contributed articles, op-eds, blog posts, and social media content.
- Work collaboratively with events, government relations, and business development teams to lead and manage communications and media opportunities around partnerships, launches, brand promotion initiatives and events.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive strategic communication planning and execution and develop and distribute communication materials/messaging to internal teams.
- Monitor communications campaign performance across media platforms and deliver timely reporting to team leads and senior leadership.
- Manage crisis communications if needed.
At gener8tor we…
• Revolve everything we do around helping the entrepreneurs in our programs.
• Wipe down the tables after lunch with as much enthusiasm as we have taking a trip out to Silicon Valley.
• Are motivated by building a better tomorrow for the communities we interact with.
• Work as a team to get $#!^ done!
We strongly encourage candidates who are Black, indigenous, people of color, women, LGBTQIA+, those with previous felony convictions and others who identify as being from an underrepresented group to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any of the above characteristics or others protected by law.
Job posted: 2022-05-10