Director of Communications – STARs
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team to develop, execute, lead, and scale a B2B storytelling program; developing necessary content to successfully establish relationships with key audiences.
- Collaborate with senior stakeholders to develop, implement, evaluate and optimize a comprehensive communication plan to support O@W’s goals for the STARs initiative.
- Drive awareness and action through messaging that is clear, compelling and tailored to a diverse set of constituencies, including c-suite level business leaders, hiring managers, workforce development partners, policymakers, think tanks, academics, and staff.
- Architect a thought leadership strategy that elevates O@W’s initiatives and spokespeople through targeted speaking events and editorial opportunities.
- Oversee an earned media strategy that generates high-impact earned media coverage, and assist with media relations, including outreach and story development.
- Create and drive a multi-channel strategy to reach key B2B audiences ( Employers, Consultants, Channel Partners)
- Partner with MarCom colleagues to implement communications strategies across channels, including media relations, social media, owned media (e.g. websites, print collateral), speaking opportunities, stakeholder convenings, paid media and others.
- Expand and continually improve on a suite of communication tools for both internal (talking points, FAQs, briefs) and external (one-pagers, infographics, emails, FAQs, campaign) audiences.
- Manage external creative resources to deliver persuasive and compelling content, including infographics and explainer videos that inform and inspire target audiences to action.
- Roll up your sleeves to research, develop, write and edit executive communications, including outreach emails to c-suite partners, funders and thought leaders in policy and academia; summaries and fact sheets: articles and opinion pieces; and presentations.
- Collaborate with partners to advance our joint goals for the broader “opportunity movement.”
- Evaluate, analyze, and report on campaign performance against KPIs in order to evolve and optimize communications strategies.
- Empower staff with the necessary materials, resources, and training to successfully communicate our message externally.
Skills Knowledge & Expertise
- 10+ years developing strategic communications plans with a track record of using a range of digital and traditional communications channels to achieve goals and deliver impact
- Experience developing and executing on a B2B-focused media strategy (product launches, data stories, thought leadership, etc.)
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with 5+ years, experience writing op-eds and other communications for c-level executives, ideally in the context of economic policy, business innovation, workforce development, education, or another complex subject.
- Must have led a B2B function within their current or recent role including but not limited to driving strategy and execution as the person directly responsible for B2B communications.
- Experience in corporate HR or the workforce development space
- Demonstrated ability to seed and move narratives, especially using thought leadership and influencer strategies.
- Strong understanding and application of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues, trends, and forecasts.
- Proven demonstration of awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- Proven track record of building strong and collaborative relationships with colleagues, partner organizations, journalists, and other stakeholders.
- Experience in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that requires collaboration problem-solving, and comfort with ambiguity.
- A confident, articulate communicator with strong executive-level written and oral communication.
- Excellent people and project management skills, including staff development and agency/vendor management.
- A passion for Opportunity@Work’s mission
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation: We believe in equal pay for equal work. Salary for our positions are based on market data and NOT what you’ve been paid before nor your negotiation skills.
- Healthcare: We pay 100% of your medical, dental, and vision coverage and 50% of the premium for your spouse and/or dependents.
- Retirement: We match 4% of your salary (up to a maximum of $5,000) annually, and will contribute an additional 1% of your salary, even if you don’t make a contribution.
- Paid Time Off We value work/life balance and trust our team members to be productive. In service of this, our Responsible Paid Time Off policy does not limit time off. Additionally, we are closed for major holidays including the last week of the year.
- Parental Leave: To help support new parents in the workplace, we offer 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Flexible Work Schedules: We are 100% remote through Q1 2021 and afterward will continue to offer flexible schedules including partial work from home options.
- Professional Development: We believe that developing our team members’ skills is a pathway to accomplishing our mission. To this end, we offer you $2,000 annually for the professional development opportunities of your choice.
Opportunity@Work is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to increase career opportunities for the 71 million adults in the U.S. who do not have a four-year college degree but are Skilled Through Alternative Routes (STARs).
For STARs, the American Dream has been fading due in part to an “opportunity gap,” in which access to the good jobs required for upward mobility often depends less on people’s skills and more on whether and where they went to college, who they know professionally and socially, or even how they look.
We envision a future in which employers hire people based on skills rather than their pedigree. We are uniting companies, workforce development organizations and philanthropists in a movement to restore the American Dream so that every STAR can work, learn and earn to their full potential.
Job posted: 2020-12-15