Provides regionwide leadership to the Community and Government Relations function aimed at promoting the organization’s reputation and public support for the community, and protecting the organization’s interests concerning legislative and public policy matters. Responsible for the development, planning and implementation of a regionwide strategy for community and government relations. Ensures government relations activities are well integrated at the state and national levels. Manages Community & Government Relations staff functions.
– Responsible for developing, planning and implementing a regionwide community and government relations (CGR) strategy. Provides oversight for all regionwide community relations programs and activities. Provides leadership and consultation to community and government relations managers accountable for implementation efforts and managing the day to day operations of the community and government relations function in the local areas.
– Participates in the development of the organization’s legislative positions. Develops and maintains relationships with state and federal elected officials, business and professional associations, public agencies, community organizations and special interest groups at the regional and state levels.
– Coordinates and provides consultation for government relations leaders in the local areas. Assists in the achievement of annual targets for legislative meetings. Collaborates, coordinates, and assists with the Permanente Medical Group’s government relations efforts. Serves as a senior advisor to regional and area leaders on government relations issues.
– Oversees the administration of community relations donations and contributions including the annual employee giving campaign. Ensures compliance with corporate contributions policy.
– Manages the Community and Government Relations staff primarily through managerial staff. Responsible for the hiring, training and development, performance evaluation and termination of staff.
– Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in government relations, legislative and health care policy arenas.
– Minimum ten (10) years’ experience working with elected officials, staff and governmental agencies.
– Bachelor’s degree in public health, political science, social welfare, government operations or related field required.
License, Certification, Registration
– Demonstrated ability to work in community and civic affairs.
– Knowledge of local, state and federal governmental agencies, and their processes and policies that affect the organization and health care community; structure, organization and operations of Kaiser Permanente in California and across nation; geography, demographics and politics of California; national, state and local health care policy debate, issues, and players; government relations and issues management principles, practices, and strategies used to resolve problems and achieve public consensus; policy analysis and how to assess politically sensitive elements and community impact.
– Must be able to work in a Labor/Management/Partnership environment.
– Master’s degree preferred.
Primary Location:California,Oakland,1950 Franklin 1950 Franklin
Scheduled Hours (1-40):40
Working Days:Mon – Fri
Employee Group:Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level:Director/Senior Director
Job:External Affairs / Relations
Public Department Name:External & Community Relations
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
Job Posted: February 20, 2017