Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Congressional Affairs
Director, Congressional Affairs
The American Pharmacists Association is the largest association representing pharmacists in all practice settings in the United States and is the only organization advancing the entire pharmacy profession.
Our expert staff, and strong volunteer leadership, including many experienced pharmacists, allow us to deliver vital leadership to help pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians find success and satisfaction in their work while advocating for changes that benefit them and their patients. From our headquarters in Washington, D.C., APhA prepares members to thrive at every career stage and in every pharmacy setting with world-class continuing education, transformative events, unique practice tools, and timely solutions to complex challenges. We’re committed to helping them deliver outstanding patient care, receive due recognition, and work at a full scope of practice.. APhA advocates to give pharmacists a voice in decisions that affect their future while promoting their undeniable value to health care teams. Our goal is to facilitate pharmacists’ delivery of the highest quality patient-centered care.
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or seek a religious/medical exemption prior to their start date. For more information on the accommodation process, please reach out to the People & Culture Team.
WHAT WE’RE ABOUT
Collaboration- We strive to produce meaningful products and services in the spirit of trust and partnership throughout the organization. To achieve success, we are flexible, adaptable, open-minded, cooperative, and inclusive.
Accountability- We strive to meet the highest standards of ethical behavior. Equity, integrity, transparency, and personal responsibility drive everything we do. We are good stewards of organizational and human resources, and we are champions for our members and colleagues.
Respect- We are committed to seeking to understand others’ perspectives and appreciating our differences; treating others with consideration, thoughtfulness, and empathy; recognizing, acknowledging, and supporting each other; being fair to and supportive of our colleagues; attentively listening, and communicating tactfully and sensitively.
Excellence- We strive to deliver high-quality, innovative, and best-in-class products and services that offer high value to members and stakeholders. We embrace a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As the Director for Congressional Affairs, you will:
- Represent the Association and its members to Congress in coordination and consultation with the Senior Vice President;
- Lead all aspects of APhA’s congressional affairs, including communications, surveillance and monitoring, analyzing, summarizing, and championing legislation.
- Develop and enhance relationships and communicate with key policy makers, as well as appropriate pharmacy and non-pharmacy organization to promote APhA’s priority policies;
- Work with Association’s pharmacy practice and government affairs staff to monitor and assist in developing strategies to impact legislations and regulations;
- Supervise Director, Political Programs; direct and oversee the activities of APhA-PAC.
- Prepare materials for inclusion in Board of Trustees meetings, grassroots efforts, and APhA communication vehicles.
- Guarantee APhA compliance with Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995;
- Assist in developing and overseeing departmental budget and other administrative matters in consultation with the Senior Vice President, Pharmacy Practice and Government Affairs;
- Other duties as assigned.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
APhA may be the right fit for you if you:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in political science required. Advanced degree preferred. Experience in health care and pharmacy related issues preferred.
- 7 years of Capitol Hill or lobbying experience required, preferably in health care issues;
- Understanding of PAC rules and procedures;
- Working knowledge of lobbying disclosure forms.
Additional skills, knowledge and abilities required:
- Understanding of legislative processes, grassroots advocacy, federal campaigns, fundraising, federal election law and compliance and political atmosphere;
- Highly effective interpersonal, communication, writing, and group presentation skills; ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of people;
- Ability to analyze political trends and identify political opportunities to advance APhA’s position;
- Proven ability to think strategically and independently anticipate and address adverse and positive developments and formulate recommendations for senior leadership team;
- Excellent awareness of current issues internal and external to the pharmacy profession;
- Skilled at developing generative and productive relationships between volunteers, organizations and external constituents;
- Ability to effectively prioritize workload, manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated effective negotiation, coalition and relationship-building, diplomatic and leadership talent to include the ability to positively lead, mentor and direct staff to accomplish organizational goals.
Other Pertinent Information:
- Position involves some evening and weekend meetings, minimal travel
- Position involves some attendance at functions held outside normal business hours
MORE ABOUT US
APhA offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits program that includes:
- A salary of $100,000 – $130,000 that is commensurate with experience
- Three Medical Plans (HSA & POS Plan Options Available)
- Free Basic Dental Plan (Employee Coverage Only)
- A Vision plan for as little as $15 per month (All coverage levels)
- Free Life, AD&D and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Contributions towards your HSA Account (HSA Health Plans Only)- $750/employee coverage and $1,500/family coverage
- Traditional & Roth 401(K) plans with a 100% match (up to the first 5%) as of your first day of employment;
- A host of other benefits (Paid-Time off, Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Legal Support and much more!
APhA does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, veteran status, religion, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Job posted: 2022-07-31