Director – Congressional and Government Affairs
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 200 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS is seeking a Director of Congressional and Government Affairs to lead the Center’s bipartisan outreach efforts, execute congressional activities and advise CSIS programs on congressional and executive branch engagement. The position will also oversee the Center’s national outreach and direct research efforts targeting the US Congress and national security.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Broadening and strengthening the CSIS network on Capitol Hill, pursuing opportunities for congressional engagement, and educating congressional staff and members on Center activities;
- Advising CSIS programs on congressional and executive branch engagement and liaising with programs internally to identify and coordinate new initiatives;
- Overseeing and hosting events and meetings on the Hill and at CSIS;
- Leading team with Congressional Affairs Associate Director and Program Coordinator;
- Revitalizing robust congressional affairs strategy, and overseeing and expanding national engagement strategy
- Directing research associated with the US Congress
Knowledge, Education, And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, government, or public policy is required; master’s degree preferred;
- At least 7-10 years of government experience or experience in public affairs or congressional relations required; Capitol Hill experience preferred;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of individuals with diverse interests, backgrounds, dispositions, and executive levels essential;
- Developed network of congressional and executive branch contacts essential;
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills essential;
- Leadership skills and ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and manage competing priorities essential;
- A background in international relations and national security, and an interest in policy-related research desirable;
Physical Requirements And Work Conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Interested applicants please submit your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.
Job posted: 2021-03-01