Director – Congressional & Political Affairs – (19000034)
About The Association
Combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, we empower the world’s most highly-skilled accountants – CPAs and CGMA designation holders – with the knowledge, insight and foresight to meet today’s demands and tomorrow’s challenges. We drive a dynamic accounting profession that works every day to build trust, create opportunity and grow prosperity worldwide.
Summary of Role
Represent the AICPA before Congress, the Administration and other organizations on advocacy initiatives for the AICPA and the accounting profession. Create and execute advocacy strategy in coordination with key stakeholders, resource allocation, contingency planning and analysis of these initiatives. Develop and nurture key relationships with members of Congress and their staff and other regulatory and political stakeholders. Contribute to the development and execution of political and legislative activities and develop and deliver messages on key advocacy issues.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Develop the AICPA’s legislative and advocacy efforts to further all aspects of the accounting professions interests.
- Grow and successfully implement plans to increase awareness and understanding of the AICPA among political influencers in key sectors.
- Develop, implement, and promote the AICPA PAC.
- Monitor and analyze congressional and federal agency activity, global policy initiatives, and coordinate efforts, as needed with the State Legislation and Regulation and other AICPA teams, as appropriate. related to policies that affect the accounting profession.
- Develop advocacy policy recommendations and provide leadership and vision for advocacy efforts.
- Maximize the AICPA’s visibility by developing strong relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs, including those that serve on committees with jurisdiction over accounting profession issues and participate in relevant congressional organizations.
- Develop appropriate relationships with relevant outside stakeholders and opinion leaders that can impact the accounting profession.
- Create grassroots education including finding opportunities to present at state society, firm, university and AICPA conferences and meetings and prepare materials to facilitate grassroots engagement on federal legislative initiatives.
- Lead profession and coalition efforts, and efforts of outside consultants for profession advocacy initiatives.
- Collaborate with teams throughout the AICPA to position profession advocacy initiatives important to the AICPA.
- Create and manage message development for communications to Congress, the Administration, and profession stakeholders utilizing testimony, letters, speeches, interviews and other communications.
- Direct the communications team in messaging legislative and regulatory issues relevant to the profession to media outlets.
- Advise senior and executive management team on issues impacting the accounting profession and, where appropriate, recommend and direct action steps.
- Maintain active membership in professional organizations to enhance AICPA’s leadership and influence among peer entities.
- Develop and manage the budget for profession issue and political campaigns.
- Establish and communicate to AICPA staff policies and procedures to ensure that all political and governmental outreach and political giving meets the legal requirements for disclosure.
- Create and maintain advocacy web pages relevant to issue areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
May supervise Legislative Assistant
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including public speaking proficiencies and experience
- Strong project management skills, including exemplary attention to detail
- Political landscape and political fundraising knowledge and expertise
- Ambitious, energetic, and driven to succeed in a results-oriented environment
- Excellent research, writing and data analysis skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Willing to work irregular and long hours as necessitated by attendance at political events and issues as identified by management
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Minimum of 10 years’ related experience with an emphasis on recent Capitol Hill legislative issues
- Government or government relations experience
- Experience with managing a legislative campaign including policymakers and other coalition stakeholders
- Experience and familiarity with current political and campaign requirements and regulation
- Recognized thought leader on matters of politics and public policy
- Bachelor’s degree
Why Work for Us?
At The Association, you are part of a global, diverse and talented group of colleagues. You have opportunities to innovate and collaborate in a leading organization that impacts individuals and businesses. You’ll have opportunities to progress while enjoying an exciting work environment that supports and celebrates individual achievement, development and professional satisfaction.
Together, we will lead the most influential body of professional accountants and create the future of the global accounting profession.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-17