Director Corporate Affairs, North America & Europe
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
As a key member of the External Affairs team, the Director, Corporate Affairs North America & Europe, will primarily be responsible for the development and execution of key government affairs and communication strategies to drive impactful and tangible value for Alcoa’s locations in these regions. The ideal candidate will possess excellent judgment and a proven track record in translating strategies into action and results. The candidate will also possess substantive experience in U.S. government relations, managing sensitive national and international policy and political issues and navigating the complexities of a corporation’s businesses.
- In coordination with external affairs teams, monitor and assess developments in NA and Europe, including legislative/regulatory environment and aluminium industry business developments for threats and opportunities to Alcoa’s business; provide Alcoa’s management with advanced intelligence, analysis and options on dealing with developments.
- Oversees U.S. federal, regional and state government affairs. Serves as company lobbyist on Capitol Hill and to the Executive Branch to advocate on issues.
- Develop and implement a government and stakeholder relations strategy; advising on appropriate networks, organization and approaches to support Alcoa business objectives.
- Represent and/or oversee Alcoa’s representation on relevant industry associations.
- Act as point person within government affairs on trade policy issues.
- Manage a network of local/regional stakeholders, thought leaders and influencers to enhance Alcoa business reputation and relations in the regions and enabling advanced political intelligence and influence.
- Recommend, engage, and manage Alcoa’s relationships with relevant third-party intermediaries including government relations and communications advisors, industry associations, diplomatic missions and civil society organizations, ensuring full compliance with Alcoa’s ethics and compliance standards and local laws.
- Develop and deliver local communications about Alcoa’s regional presence / partnerships; advise the corporation on local implications of issues and coordinate management as needed.
- In coordination with Communication leads, develop and execute communications strategies and messaging for the regions that resonate with senior management, customers, the news media and shareholders to promote Alcoa’s businesses.
- Support Alcoa’s crisis communications planning and execution; monitor local issues and topics relevant to the business, regularly advising corporate communications on the same.
- Consult on media strategy and messaging to ensure alignment with corporate communication
Qualifications & Experience
- Masters or MBA degree in international affairs, business or related field plus a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a multi-national complex work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Global work experience, especially in manufacturing and industrial sectors, a plus.
- Sophisticated experience working with U.S. and foreign government bodies on international trade, business and political issues is required.
- Preferred experience in Washington DC, with strong relationships with government stakeholders and
- Experience with industry trade associations, think tanks, non-profit organizations, academic institutions, media, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple and complex projects under tight deadlines.
- Effective cross-cultural manager.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-13