Director, Corporate Media Relations
Start Your Journey With Us
Global corporate relations and communications, a function of Global Communications & Public Affairs, is responsible for developing and executing a strategic, innovative and integrated communications program that both drives the business and advances the company’s reputation through proactive and reactive external media relations campaigns and serving as a day-to-day strategist for internal clients, with frequent interaction and counsel to various top-level executives.
The Director, Corporate Media Relations, is a role that will be responsible for the proactive storytelling of Marriott International’s efforts in sustainability and social impact as well as raising the company’s visibility as an employer of choice. Working directly with HR leaders, the director will proactively support a narrative that highlights the company’s TakeCare culture and its diversity and inclusion efforts. The director will also work with colleagues in the Government Affairs and Social Impact Team to communicate messaging around sustainability and social impact. The director will also support the SVP, Global Corporate Relations and Communications Officer, with issues management, handling reactive media inquiries that may have a potential impact on Marriott’s reputation. The director will have at least one direct report.
The following are major areas of responsibilities for the Director, Corporate Media Relations:
- Primary communications lead for HR and related stories highlighting company culture, TakeCare and Diversity & Inclusion efforts, proactively developing the strategy and messaging, media relations plan, and partnering with stakeholders to implement the plan
- Primary communications lead for Marriott’s Social Impact and Sustainability efforts and stories related to these initiatives and projects proactively developing the strategy and messaging, media relations plan, and partnering with stakeholders to implement the plan
- Work directly with HR leaders to create and implement an external narrative that highlights Marriott as an employer of choice
- Develop new content, comprised of communications plans and related materials, including writing and editing compelling messages, executive briefing documents, press releases and managing production and stakeholder approval, and coordinating distribution through appropriate channels for above related areas
- Serve as project manager for major communications initiatives, working directly with senior leadership for above related areas
- Writes and seeks approval for all media statements developed for areas of responsibility
- Proactively develop and maintain strong relationships with business, travel, and relevant trade and consumer news media
- Manage incoming media inquiries related to areas of focus and provide counsel and assistance to leadership and various spokespeople as needed; draft, solicit comments, and implement responses to inquiries
- Advise senior executives, in preparation for media opportunities. Develop and implement executive talking points and staff executive media interviews
- Take the lead on and, at times, support corporate level announcements
- Develop and execute reactive communications plans to manage issues such as lawsuits, labor issues, negative reputation issues, social media missteps, significant events that take place at Marriott International properties around the world, etc. working in support of the SVP, Global Corporate Relations and Communications
- Responsible for the talent management and development of direct report
Requirements for Position:
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
- Minimum of ten (10) years experience as a proven PR professional, with strong media connections and demonstrated national brand experience with consumer-facing brands.
- Track-record of generating strategic media placements; creative thinking around the appropriate strategy for each announcement (e.g., press conference, press release, outlet exclusive, blog post, tweet, etc.).
- Deep understanding of the use of digital and social channels for advancing a media relations plan.
- Strong writing and editing skills (e.g., press statements and releases, messaging, talking points, strategic memos).
- Demonstrated ability to articulate complex issues to media.
- Highly-defined, strongly-honed and successful interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter; creative problem solving and excellent time management skills.
- Ability to interface and work diplomatically with a wide range of individuals, including the highest levels of corporate management and business units within the organization, and handle all media sensitivities.
- Superior judgment and use of discretion in protecting confidential information.
- Outstanding presentation and oral communication skills.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, or Marketing.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03