Director, Crisis Communications
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
McDonald’s Global Impact team is aligned around a mission to make McDonald’s one of the most respected, trusted, and admired brands in the world. We will do this through actions to drive responsible business growth, investments to foster community, values-based advocacy, and compelling communications that matter to our customers, our System and our global partners. Read more about our Purpose & Impact here.
The Director, Crisis Communications will lead efforts to strengthen McDonald’s resiliency and capability to protect and build brand reputation. Reporting to the Senior Director of Global Media Relations, the individual in this role will be responsible for:
- Developing proactive crisis preparedness and response protocol and supporting adoption of the program across the business.
- Leading real-time issues management and cross-functional communications responses to issues to protect and build reputation
- Generating and executing communications plans that support brand trust initiatives
- Working cross-functionally with Performance and Insights and key business units to utilize data to inform response approach
- Managing response to daily inbound inquiries to the Global Media Relations team.
- Conducting crisis communications capability building initiatives and offerings to upskill teams and strengthen resilience globally.
- Building and expand connections with a network of media that cover the brand and industry.
- Training and preparing senior leadership and subject matter experts for media interviews and briefings.
- Managing and overseeing performance of a team of crisis communications managers and supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, business or related field.
- The ideal candidate is a proactive, strategic, solutions-focused leader with the following attributes:
- Deep communications expertise that is global in nature and spans both external (partners such as consumers and influencers) and internal disciplines, either in-house or at an agency.
- Crisis communications experience at an agency
- Strong executive presence and experience managing high-exposure assignments.
- Global business acumen, with a strong grasp of finance as well as a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy.
- Proven experience counselling senior-level executives and activating communications strategy with c-suite executives.
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills; can easily simplify messages.
- Comfortable leading on developing executive communications strategies and rolling up sleeves to execute.
- A problem solver with a bias for action; who aims for clarity amidst ambiguity.
- Thrives in fast-paced environments. Able to work independently with minimal direction. Is flexible, collaborative and deadline driven.
- Is open, honest and direct but tactful and respectful in communications style and approach.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Job posted: 2021-05-30