Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Development & Communications
Us Helping Us is a mission-driven nonprofit known for its work at the intersection of culturally appropriate service delivery, community education and mobilization, advocacy, and research. For the past 30 years, Us Helping Us has provided innovative services, programs, and activities to improve the health and wellbeing of racial, sexual, and gender minorities, especially Black sexual minority men, people with HIV (PWH), and persons with substance use and mental health disorders. As it exists today, Us Helping Us offers a variety of clinical, behavioral, and social services in a trusting, affirming, and inclusive environment. Importantly, Us Helping Us is multi-service organization that is client-centric and provides coordinated, compassionate services that assist clients in realizing their full potential. We are currently hiringa Director of Development & Communications that fosters a culture of philanthropy within the organization, ensures the implementation of a robust plan to effective communicate with clients, donors, and the community
at-large, and that is committed, customer-oriented, and independently motivated person with the necessary skills to fill this position.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Director of Development & Communications will have the following responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Committee of the Board of Directors, develop and implement an annual Development Plan, including but not limited to annual fundraisers, major donor program and end of life planning.
- Establish and monitor performance measures with the Executive Director and Development Committee to evaluate the effectiveness of the Development Plan.
- Prepare, analyze and communicate development/fundraising reports to all stakeholders, includingthe Executive Director and Development Committee.
- Cultivate and sustain strong relationships with individual and corporate donors; expand fundraising efforts in partnership with the Executive Director and Development Committee.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws as well as code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives and maintain accountability standards to donors.
- Recommend short- and long-range fund development plans to support and sustain the organization, especially in the face of internal and external factors.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, as necessary, develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources, insurance billing and solicitation programs tailored to the programmatic and service needs of the organization.
- Research and identify additional funding opportunities to support the organization.
- Prepare and submit applications to governmental agencies, foundations and corporations, as needed, to support current and future programs, services, and activities.
- Oversee communication and marketing staff members to ensure internal and external communications and ensuring that all content meets message consistency and accuracy.
- Direct communications and marketing staff in the management of organizational branding and digital content across various platforms.
- Manage website content;
- Oversee public relations by writing, editing, and pitching content internally and externally.
- Oversee small teams that produce and promote external events with flyers and other promotional tools.
Required Experience and Education:
- Master’s in Business Administration, Public Health/Administration, Organizational Management or related field is required; or Bachelor’s degree with at least eight (8) years of experience in non-profit management.
- Five (5) years in a senior administrative management position in a nonprofit organization, healthcare service or social enterprise.
- Three (3) years of experience in organizational development and fundraising; experience with overseeing the implementation of organizational strategic plans is required.
- Experience with relevant software such as DonorView, QuickBooks, and Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
- Prior responsibility for the accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources, including governmental, corporate and private sources.
Preferred Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in managing and implementing a comprehensive fund development program and producing charitable contributions. The individual is expected to be a highly competent enabler of team and Board members and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain in-depth relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds and sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning purposes.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of organizational planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising.
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong community awareness.
- Operates with transparency, direction, discernment, and communicates with substance.
- Remains focused in the face of pressure or assigned tasks and delivers against timelines.
- Knowledge of culturally-grounded service provision to traditionally underserved populations and with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons in particular.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, inclusiveness and empowerment.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an effectiveand timely manner and maintain a flexible schedule in accordance withorganizational needs.
- Salary range $105,000-$130,000 (based on experience) plus a generous benefits package, including an 80/20 employer/employee-paid health insurance.
- This is a full-time position that includes occasional evening and weekend commitments.
- Valid U.S. work permit required.
- Must submit to and successfully complete a background investigation and drug test.
- Us Helping Us has a smoke-free environment and non-smokers are preferred. Excellent personal hygiene is a must.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume on Idealist.org. This position will remain open until closed.
Us Helping Us is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, language, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran with a disability.
Job posted: 2022-09-18