Director of Digital Content and Innovation
Position Summary: The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of digital programming and related content for the CSO, Pops and May Festival brands. They are a creative and innovative leader who develops digital content and assembles and manages teams to ensure the Orchestra engages both core loyalists and broadening audiences on digital platforms, including the CSO’s and affiliated social media platforms, as well as via all electronic media, including radio, television, digital broadcasts and recordings.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director ensures that the Orchestra succeeds with audiences on all platforms. The Director understands the potential for audience service and growth on digital platforms and builds effective strategies for the future in a cost-effective and sustainable way. The Director oversees content development processes that are suitable to individual platforms, and identifies content partnerships and producers, working effectively with them to deliver superb quality and innovative content.
The Director is an experienced, collaborative and inspirational team leader, responsible for the successful development of the digital content team. The Director has the ability to assess best practices and trend-setting content and has a track record of turning ideas into successful digital content. They can be successful as measured by industry standards, working comfortably and professionally among multiple stakeholders within the inherent challenges of a major orchestral environment. They have a passion for creativity and innovation.
- Articulates a long-term strategy to achieve successful audience growth and engagement, in collaboration with the senior management team, marketing and communications departments, for the Orchestra on digital, social media and traditional broadcast platforms.
- Builds a yearly digital content plan that incorporates winning strategies for relevant digital platforms: both owned and operated as well as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and other social platforms.
- Creates a compelling digital content event strategy with yearly plans and develops key internal and external partnerships to ensure high quality experiences for the Orchestra audience.
- Is solution-oriented and able to quickly prioritize and oversee production of relevant content in response to unexpected situations and circumstances.
- Closely collaborates with internal colleagues and stakeholders to ensure alignment on mission/vision/values and to support institutional goals and directives; authorizes projects and sets priorities.
- Interprets stated artistic and organizational goals and guides content, production and technical teams to achieve successful outcomes.
- Manages the Orchestra’s digital content budget.
- Identifies digital content partnerships to enable growth.
- Creates and ensures a healthy ongoing content development process that enables creative ideas and inspires creative people both internal and external to the Orchestra.
- Regularly reviews and assesses digital content metrics.
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting Relationship: The Director of Digital Content and Innovation reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Knowledge of and experience with production of classical music and/or alternate entertainment genres.
- Demonstrated experience in developing high quality content on digital platforms and launching new digital content services and initiatives.
- Experience developing and maintaining complex content budgets and building business cases for expansion.
- Deep understanding of best practices and winning content approaches for social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and others, and ability to work within those guidelines to adapt to/consider the unique aspects of the orchestra business.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A working knowledge of classical music knowledge, including familiarity and comfort with performing arts environments and best practices.
- Five years practical, hands-on digital/video content creation.
- Three years of experience as a digital team leader in the creative area of a complex media environment.
- Demonstrated experience with budget management.
Compensation and Benefits: The position garners a competitive salary and offers generous benefits including: medical, dental, long term disability, life insurance, health savings account contribution, 403(b) participation with employer contribution, up to 12 weeks paid parental leave, flex time and the opportunity to work for an artistically thriving and financially stable nonprofit organization.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $95,000
A Commitment to Inclusion: The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra’s commitment to inclusion is fundamental to who we are as an organization. Reflecting our community and the world around at every level – on stage, behind-the-scenes, and in neighborhoods throughout the region — is essential to the CSO’s present and future and makes us a stronger ensemble and institution. We encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Please put “Director of Digital Content” in the subject line.
Job posted: 2020-11-09