Director of Equity & Impact
Everytown for Gun Safety is an American nonprofit organization working to address the gun violence epidemic in the US. As the counterweight to the gun lobby, our work has a strong focus on pushing for stronger gun laws and innovative policy solutions at the federal, state, and local level.
Everytown for Gun Safety is hiring a Director of Equity & Impact, a new, senior-level role created to support Everytown’s ongoing internal commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive (DEI) work environment for our staff and volunteers. By developing a strategic plan which focuses on applying an intersectional approach at looking at racial equity, and anti- oppression, this position will design and oversee a coordinated internal training program for managers and staff, liaise with members of Everytown’s DEI Advisory Team and the organization’s leadership team to set goals and benchmarks for advancing our DEI, anti-racist and anti-oppression programs. The ideal candidate is an exceptional collaborator who is well organized and able to work across departments and with staff at all levels within the organization. The position will be a dual-report to the Chief Human Resources People Officer and the Chief Equity Outreach & Partnerships Officer.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as an advocate for staff and collaborate with teams and colleagues to build and maintain a consistent understanding as to why DEI, anti-oppression, (anti-black, and anti-racist) work is important and needs to be woven into every aspect of our work at Everytown
- Help the organization develop short, medium and long-term goals for recruitment, retention, training, and continued staff development with respect to DEI and anti-oppression work, as well as processes to ensure accountability for living up to our values of ensuring a respectful, equitable, and inclusive work environment for Everytown staff and volunteers
- Help lead the search process for and collaborate with outside consultants to assist with our DEI work, including identifying and facilitating relationships with DEI and anti-oppression trainers who can help meet the tailored needs of our staff and volunteer leaders
- Develop a long-term plan for ongoing DEI and anti-oppression behavior-changing learning experiences, trainings and education that are evolutionary, building on existing work while adapting to the specific needs of our staff and the broader movement for gun safety
- Oversee and support the DEI Advisory Team and its subcommittees
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in HR and Senior Leadership to ensure seamless incorporation of DEI principles in all of Everytown’s policies and practices
- Drive change management and adoption of new behaviors while demonstrating a “continuous learner” mindset
- Manage multiple projects to meet target dates for implementation
- Measure, track and analyze the effectiveness of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to establish benchmarks, report on progress, and identify gaps and opportunities for future areas of focus
- 10 years’ experience working in a diversity role and proven success in creating and implementing DEI & racial equity strategies for non-profit organizations, corporations and/or other institutions.
- Experience in anti-oppression, social justice and/or racial equity work
- Experience in a campaign or advocacy organization is strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills and ability to tailor messages for specific audiences
- Ability to work independently, navigate change, take ownership and deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated interest in Everytown’s mission of ending the gun violence epidemics well as a keen eye for understanding systemic problems including the intersectionality and disproportionate impact of gun violence preferred
- Proven track record of effective accountability measures that have been successfully in combating DEI, anti-racist, anti-black behaviors and policies in organizations
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-21