Director of European Affairs
CDT Europe is seeking a Director of European Affairs to help shape public policy in the EU on critical issues of the digital age. The Director leads the work of CDT’s European team, working collaboratively with CDT’s U.S.-based project teams and staff. The position is located at the CDT Europe office in Brussels.
The position offers substantial autonomy as well as the opportunity to work collaboratively with teams in the U.S. We are seeking an experienced leader with established networks in relevant EU institutions, NGOs, and industry to shape CDT’s European policy agenda and to manage the day-to-day execution of CDT’s EU-based efforts to champion global online civil liberties and human rights.
- Representation. The Director is the head of CDT Europe, located in Brussels. The Director acts as CDT’s senior representative to European Union institutions, European governments, regulatory agencies, and international organisations. They must convey CDT’s positions with authority and credibility at both working levels and political levels, and engage with policymakers across the political spectrum.
- Public speaking and media. The Director must deliver CDT’s views at panel discussions and public events with clarity and confidence, and work through the media to enhance and reinforce CDT’s visibility and reputation in Europe. The Director must produce high-quality papers, blog posts, consultation responses, and articles on CDT’s priority issues.
- Policy and issues management. With input and support from CDT’s leadership, the Director must determine CDT’s European policy agenda and direction on policy issues, and influence activities across a wide range of issues. This work requires the Director to combine strategic vision for CDT’s international and European activities with the day-to-day execution of programmes on particular issues.
- Multistakeholder engagement. The Director must work constructively with CDT supporters, global and European companies, industry groups, NGOs, think tanks, and academic communities across CDT’s policy priorities, building and maintaining relevant relationships for CDT in these communities.
- Leadership. The Director must demonstrate an open and collaborative attitude and the ability to maintain seamless cooperation with CDT’s Washington, DC office, while also operating with a high level of autonomy and an entrepreneurial approach to developing and growing CDT’s European and international footprint.
- Fundraising. The Director must be committed to fundraising to sustain the operations of CDT Europe, working in collaboration with leadership and development personnel in CDT’s Washington, DC office.
Applicants must have:
- A minimum of 7+ years relevant professional experience in European and international internet and technology policy issues, with a background from one or more of the following areas: technology companies, industry organisations, law firms, consultancies, government agencies, think tanks, and NGOs.
- Affinity for CDT’s mission and approach to technology and internet policy.
- Extensive experience with European Union policymaking processes.
- Established networks in relevant EU institutions, industry, NGOs, and/or academic communities.
- Fluency and excellence in spoken and written English. Understanding and knowledge of other European languages is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in public speaking, writing, and a demonstrated ability to communicate policy issues to the media and the public.
- Demonstrated personnel management experience, and strong project and programme management experience. The role requires the ability to juggle multiple work processes and adhere to strict deadlines. Experience managing budgets and external resources is preferred.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Center for Democracy & Technology is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, or physical ability.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-06-02