Director for European Government and Regulatory Affairs
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
About the position
The Director for European Government and Regulatory Affairs, will have a good understanding of the Internet and its ecosystem. The successful candidate must be able to forge relationships across a broad range of stakeholders to facilitate the work of the Internet Society in the European region. The ideal candidate will provide strategic advice to the Internet Society leadership and staff about technical, policy, economic and social trends in the region that impact the development of the Internet. We are looking for someone who has experience working in a global, decentralized team, with a very good understanding of cultural differences.
Location: Belgium (Remote Position)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the VP of External Engagement to develop an engagement strategy for governments and regulators in Europe.
- Work closely with ISOC staff to coordinate the implementation of strategic activities in the region.
- Provide information and a clear perspective on the most relevant news and topics related to the European region.
- Collaborate with the Partnerships team in identifying funding opportunities.
- Prepare reports as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 years professional experience (non-profit experience a plus); demonstrated success in a similar function in the European region.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s preferred.
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of partners and build long-term relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives and actively look for opportunities to contribute to projects and programs
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, while maintaining accountability and transparency via reporting.
- A team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the organization.
- High energy and passion for Internet Society’s mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement an annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- English and French are a must; any additional language is a bonus.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- The willingness and ability to travel extensively.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-11