Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Executive Communications
Marriott International, Inc. is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland and both operates and franchises hotels as well as licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. The Director, Executive Positioning and Communications, plays a critical role proactively leading strategic communications development and thought leadership positioning for Marriott International’s top executives, primarily the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Chairman of the Board. This role is responsible for developing and executing strategic content development plans in support of the full suite of executive communications needs for a variety of internal and external forums and medium (e.g., internal messages, OpEds, media statements, executive messaging, talking points, social media content and press releases). Plans and content are expected to be strategic, innovative, and integrated to achieve the company’s broader corporate communications objectives. The Director of Executive Communications must emphasize fresh content development and new forums that drive the business, advance the company’s reputation, reach new audiences and advance leadership excellence. In addition, this role oversees a team member who is responsible for the creation, development, and execution of content support for C-suite executives on external speaking opportunities and internal communications. This position collaborates across disciplines for message development and with colleagues across the company supporting communications for executive leaders.
This role reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Global Corporate Communications and Public Policy and oversees at least one direct report.
The following are major areas of responsibilities for the Director, Executive Positioning and Communications:
Work collaboratively across GCPA to develop and execute an executive content strategy primarily for, but not limited to, Marriott’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chairman of the Board for internal audiences
- Work with GCPA leaders to develop an overarching annual executive communications plan, identifying internal moments for executive communications and leading the development of related content.
- Serve as primary writer for the CEO and Chairman, as well as other executives as necessary. Write or edit all-associate or region-specific communications from the CEO or Chairman, either as the solo byline or alongside other C-suite executives, on a range of topics that address timely issues, advance the business, or support the people-first culture of the company.
- Create message strategy and develop related talking points and scripts for video tapings or live events including all-associate business updates, associate recognition events, owner and franchisee conferences, brand and hotel milestone moments, global town halls, and senior leadership meetings.
Identify external thought leadership opportunities and support successful executive preparation and participation in external forums
- Proactively identify forums, leveraging existing relationships and developing new opportunities, for executive thought leadership, including engaging with organizers and internally to determine which priority narratives should be highlighted in which forums for maximum impact and resonance with the relevant audiences. Support messaging and preparation for executives in accordance with event organizer and Marriott’s objectives. Identify follow-up opportunities to augment thought leadership forums and outcomes by collaborating with social media colleagues for planning and copy development and with internal communications to reach associates.
- Oversee executive briefings and message development for the CEO and Chairman for external audiences and events.
- Craft CEO and Chairman executive communications for external audiences, including letters, opinion pieces, quotes, remarks, talking points and scripts for events/conferences, galas, awards presentations, hotel openings and fireside chats. Work collaboratively with media relations team to support message development for media Q&A, media-hosted events and interviews.
- Support content development for the annual report letter, Stockholders Meeting script, and related corporate announcements incorporating an executive voice or quote, as needed.
General communications leadership and oversight
- Provide leadership and oversight to team member in the creation, development, and execution of communications plans and content for C-suite executives to include the President, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), General Counsel, Chief Global Communications and Public Affairs Officer and Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) for company-wide communications or messages reaching beyond their discipline.
- Oversee and edit the talking points, briefing materials, thought leadership positioning and messages, company-wide communications, and published materials for C-suite executives managed by direct report.
- Partner with members of the Public Relations, Human Resources, Internal Communications, Creative Services, Social Impact and Government Affairs teams to advance the company’s reputation both internally and externally.
- Provide communications support in the form of content creation in crisis management situations, including executive messaging.
- Mentor, coach, and support direct report(s), ensuring constant development of skills with an ability to mobilize the organization to think and act differently. Build talent and inspire success in individuals and teams.
- Advance the organization and manage the impact of change to enable better business results, serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team to provide support to overall GCPA goals and initiatives.
- Create and sustain a strong, positive work environment in both New York and Bethesda.
- Responsible for successful completion of other duties as assigned.
Requirements for Position
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- An exceptional portfolio reflecting at least eight years in the corporate setting as a writer and strong creative storyteller supporting senior executives. Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategic communications plans.
- Superior communications skills, both verbal and written. Demonstrated writing and editing skills including experience writing speeches, writing and placing opinion pieces as well as preparing background information for all speeches.
- Demonstrated ability to expertly articulate complex issues.
- Ability to interface and work successfully with a wide range of individuals, including the highest levels of corporate management and business units within the organization.
- Superior judgment and use of discretion in protecting confidential information.
- Outstanding presentation and oral communication skills; ability to mentor others in these skills.
- Ability to develop and implement highly effective strategic and measurable content plans.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships and interact with associates at all levels within the organization and with key constituents outside of the company.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, or Marketing.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Learn more here
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
Job posted: 2022-07-28