Director, External Affairs
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Execute organizational strategy to catalyze a movement to end hunger in America. Develop and implement campaign strategies to grow and strengthen Feeding America’s profile and impact with a broad range of stakeholders, both within Washington DC and nationwide, in order to advance the organization’s priorities. Help position Feeding America as a leading organization on domestic hunger.
Salary Range: $100,000 to $125,000+ Based on Experience
- Implement Feeding America’s movement building strategy by liaising with relevant departments to initiate segmented acquisition campaigns, and work with the advocacy team with projects, activities, campaigns, and goals to implement organizational advocacy strategy.
- Develop a policy road map for solving hunger with an emphasis on expanded federal nutrition and food bank programs with input from internal and external stakeholders to help the movement building campaign work.
- Develop policy frameworks and strategies for branded anti-hunger initiatives targeted to specific population segments.
- Implement the movement building strategy to integrate these frameworks with grassroots advocacy while updating priorities to align with evolving legislative opportunities.
- Oversee the evolution of policy frameworks toward multi-level policy approaches integrating federal, state, and local public sector initiatives.
- Develop timely and effective tools for communicating policy road map and policy frameworks to various audiences, including advocates, allied organizations, elected officials, and business, faith, and civic leaders.
- Provides strategic counsel to the VP of External Affairs.
- Represents Feeding America at movement building events, forums, speaking engagements, and conferences.
- Collaborates across organizational teams on messaging and digital advocacy strategies and movement building efforts.
- Manages external consultants and budget to support external affairs efforts.
- Responds to requests for information on external affairs initiatives.
- Travel: Minimal – a few trips annually.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leaders Competencies
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates department strategy into SMART project goals for teams and individuals. Ensures highest and best use of allocated resources. Empowers team members to execute projects. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages deep knowledge of industry and function to shape operational decisions and project plans. Uses prior technical experience to improve processes and procedures within the organization. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Collaborates and models positive engagement resolving issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and large audience settings.
- Coaches & Develops Talent & Teams: Coaches and mentors direct reports with a focus on creating growth opportunities and providing regular, constructive, feedback. Actively involved in recruiting, performance, development and compensation for direct reports.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience, Certifications & Education
- Ten plus years’ experience in issue advocacy, grassroots mobilization, external affairs or issue campaigns required.
- Must have significant movement building work including digital advocacy and grassroots advocacy experience, marketing and communications work or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Congress and Executive Branch, or issue advocacy experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-09