Director, External Affairs – (58853)
We are looking for a passionate professional with an entrepreneurial mindset to play a critical role in developing, coordinating and implementing strategies and activities that advance the company’s policy, legislative and business development interests at the federal, state and local level. Based on the East coast, this position will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer. The Director will anticipate and manage the company’s agenda within the states in which it has operating assets; as well as with the various municipal, county, and local government entities that have a vested interest in clean, safe, workspaces for all employees. You will prioritize legislative, policy and advocacy goals is based on key business priorities and conducted in conjunction with business leaders throughout company departments and functions. You will be responsible for managing the proactive engagement plan around ABM’s short- and long-term policy and advocacy priorities across our business operations. Your priority is to shape the policy landscape through credible engagement with elected officials, policymakers, and other stakeholders, while working alongside other colleagues of the Strategy and Innovation team, representing the team in a variety of engagements and meetings, and be responsible for communicating the business impact to key external and internal stakeholders.
In This Role, Your Main Missions Are
- Develops and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation, and coordinates federal, state and local association management, key contacts programs, training, and compliance
- Executes against strategic goals / priorities for and across the business enterprise by integrating capabilities that include government relations, policy, advocacy, community outreach, and public affairs.
- Monitoring and tracking relevant legislative, regulatory, and public policy developments at a federal, state, and local level; and helping to produce materials as needed to explain those developments and their impact on ABM
- Working closely with the business through operations/cross-functional teams to engage and expand ABM’s advocacy network to support ABM’s government relations and public policy priorities
- Facilitating meetings of business leaders with policymakers, and brief business leaders on government relations and public affairs developments. Develop and maintain relationships with government representatives and regulators as needed
- Establishes and maintains relationships with trade groups and relevant organizations and serves as a liaison between the local, state and national associations on public policy issues
- Draft, analyze and/or present legislation, amendments, and testimony as necessary
- Build and maintain a comprehensive policy engagement approach that prioritizes key business initiatives for ABM. The strategy will address both near-term business needs and threats as well as a longer-term view designed to position ABM as the leader in shaping a market-based environment that meets the future needs of the company, our employees, and clients.
- Navigate the current business, legislative, and political environment to address regulatory, legislative and policy issues that may impact corporate growth and profitability. Focus areas will center around key business priorities focused on clean workspaces.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships within the Administration, federal agencies, and Congress, that will distinguish the company as a leader in Clean Work Environments while proactively advancing company objectives.
- Create sound policy platforms and implement comprehensive advocacy strategies through engagement with key internal business partners and other stakeholders. External work will center on aggressive participation with key trade associations as well as in conjunction with our issue advocacy team and their relationships with credible 3rd party groups.
- Elevate ABM through proactive participation at key engagements, programming, and other activities
- Cultivate unified philosophy through work with others in Market Access and Government Affairs in pursuit of overarching objectives.
What Requirements Are We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred, with 10+ years’ work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house Government Relations
- Experience in the following areas: federal, state or city government; legislative affairs; politics/campaigns; advocacy
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation, regulation, contracts, and legal documents
- Flexibility to travel as needed, experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and work nights and weekends as needed
What Desired Qualifications Are We Looking For
- BA or BS is required. Qualified candidates should have a 10+ years of experience working on or with the U.S. government and should possess an understanding of Facilities related policies and issues impacting our industry. Strong relationships with key administrative and congressional staff and knowledge and experience with key agencies and committees preferred.
- Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating effectively and on message, and responding to tough questions from diverse constituencies; including from community groups, high-ranking elected officials, tenant groups or others
- Ability to negotiate with legislative staff and other groups effectively, while also creating positive relationships
- Experience in people and project management with a focus on strong interpersonal skills, strategic leadership, decision-making, and relationship building.
- Demonstrated experience in core facilities issues and other related expertise in issues of critical importance to ABM and its business.
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including trade associations and coalitions, and ability to proactively drive objectives by effectively bring individuals together.
- The candidate must be able to utilize strong oral and written skills in order to communicate targeted messages to a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- The candidate must possess an ability to set clear objectives and effectively implement comprehensive government affairs strategies that include policy development, advocacy, coalition building, messaging, material generation and other means necessary in order to meet defined goals.
- Creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions with a willingness to hold yourself, team members and consultants accountable to continuously anticipate challenges, identify opportunities, and deliver results
Washington, DC 20001 US
Job posted: 2020-05-15