Director, External Affairs
About HERE to HERE:
HERE to HERE enhances paths to rewarding careers for young people by uniting employers, educators and community-based organizations in the Bronx and across New York City. Our vision is a thriving, inclusive economy, in the Bronx and elsewhere, driven by meaningful partnerships between young people and employers. We work closely with high schools, postsecondary programs (and particularly CUNY and its Bronx campuses), community-based organizations, public officials, and employers.
Our goal is to build partnerships and policies that help employers identify the talent they need to thrive and ensure every student develops the passion, experience, and professional network to succeed in a career of their choice.
Vice President, Administration and External Affairs
Over the past three years, HERE to HERE has successfully established itself as the intermediary that champions young people by working to redefine the systems that unfairly burden Black and Brown students as they pursue their career ambitions. We understand that the issues are complex and interrelated. That’s why we create effective partnerships, prioritize the thoughts and opinions of young people, and mobilize people and organizations—demonstrating how our collective efforts to create a just and inclusive talent system will create lasting change. How we reinvent these systems determines our future.
HERE to HERE’s priorities are to elevate student career success as the shared and primary priority of students, families, communities, educational institutions, public agencies, employers, and elected officials and to Make best practice common practice by: (1) Mobilizing practitioners and policy makers through learning from data and practice; (2) Codifying best practice that places Bronx students at the center of the work; (3) Investing in opportunities that will accelerate and expand best practice; and (4) Reimagining existing policies, institutions, and infrastructure. Our focus for the next 18-24 months is:
● Adoption of the Key Distinguishers by practitioners, policymakers, and funders.
● Positioning occupations and competency plans as the organizing principle for Employer-Educator partnerships.
● Building the narrative and case for prioritizing student career success and work-based learning.
● Codifying and demonstrating authentic co-creation with students to create best practice and mobilize champions.
● Focusing on organizational well-being and sustainability, including deepening our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging practices.
The Director, External Affairs will play a critical role in advancing our mission and these priorities through strategic and day-to-day responsibility for all communications and fundraising activities. Reporting to the Vice President, Administration and External Affairs, the Director is responsible for working with HERE to HERE’s leadership team to plan, develop and implement HERE to HERE’s communications, public relations, and fundraising strategies, support the CEO to increase and diversify HERE to HERE’s funding base and Board of Directors, as well as explore opportunities. They will direct the marketing, communications and fundraising initiatives that support HERE to HERE’s strategic goals, enhance the organization’s visibility, and cultivate HERE to HERE’s brand.
To achieve this goal, the Director will:
● Lead a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that supports HERE to HERE in meeting its goals and mission through communications, and mobilizing key stakeholders to champion work-based learning and career pathways.
● Provide strategic and day-to-day oversight of public relations activities of the organization, including voice, messaging, content and visual presentation across all media,
● Support the CEO and others on the leadership team to develop and diversify the Board of Directors and the funder base
● Support CEO and VP, Administration and External Affairs through project management of board communications and board materials and regular communication with all funders.
● Support VP, Administration and External Affairs to develop HERE to HERE’s revenue diversification development efforts, maintain existing funding streams and donor relationships with foundation and institutional donors, government contracts, earned income, as well as other emerging revenue sources
● Collaborate with the senior leadership team to identify internal and external fundraising and donor communications opportunities and develop and execute appropriate strategies to support them
For the first year of the role, we expect communications responsibilities to represent about 75% of workload, and development responsibilities at 25%. By the second year, with successful systemization of many communications functions, the balance would shift to 50/50.
● Direct and implement strategic communications efforts to increase HERE to HERE’s strategic goals, enhance the organization’s visibility, and cultivate and manage HERE to HERE’s brand for both internal and external audiences by developing content, managing public and media relations, and identifying new opportunities, while ensuring that all external materials align with and enhance HERE to HERE’s brand.
● Lead and oversight of the writing, design and production of all of HERE to HERE’s communications collateral and branded materials, such as informational documents, website content, digital media collateral, informational documents, digital newsletter and other e-updates, press releases, speeches, talking points, and other external content.
● Develop and advance relationships with local and national media that cover organization’s programs, expertise, and vision on issues such as career pathways, work-based learning, the future of work, employer engagement in developing talent pipelines, championing student voices.
● Coordinate development of a variety of editorial content, including blog posts, advocacy alerts, articles, Op-Eds and social media content. Facilitate media interactions, arranging interviews, op-eds, personal accounts, thought-leader bylined pieces, etc.
● Ensure all materials are up to date with current information in a fast-growing organization.
● Oversee the design and implementation of all donor and stakeholder communications
● Manage and coordinate external consultants, including graphic designers, printers, website designers, strategic communications and PR advisors, and others.
● Share leadership of event planning and production for multiple audiences, including press, policy and individual and institutional donors.
● Working with the Director, Student Voice, coordinate student voice and engagement in events and public relations activities.
● Supervise communications team staff, currently one part-time role
Manage the strategic participation of key staff and Board Members in cultivating and stewarding strong relationships with funding sources and identify and initiate new opportunities to expand the foundation, corporate, and individual donor base, moving organization towards public charity status over 3 years.
● Maintain up-to-date calendar and work plans for all fund development efforts, including grant proposals and reports, mailings, marketing activity, and events.
● Oversee and prepare high-quality and timely grant proposals and reports, and assist in developing methods for identifying and evaluating program outcomes; Respond to government requests for proposals and other public sector funding opportunities.
● Develop and implement systems for recording, acknowledging and encouraging individual, institutional, and corporate giving.
● Serve as an engaging external representative of HERE to HERE, nurturing relationships with the Board, donors and partners.
● Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the philanthropic landscape, in order to pursue an opportunistic partnerships as they relate to individual donors, major donors, giving trends, and charitable contributions.
Qualifications & Experience:
As part of this team, you will be most successful if you possess most of the following:
● Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years related experience in journalism, public relations, media, marketing or nonprofit communications OR 7-10 years related experience with 3 years of experience in director-level communications, fundraising, or Board-support roles;
● Excellent oral and written communication skills with experience in strengths/asset-based language;
● Experience conducting media relations with up-to-date NYC contacts;
● Experience in producing outstanding communications and marketing materials in all media including print, web, social media, animated and live-action video; prefer experience in successful intermediary, advocacy and other collaborative campaigns and events;
● Experience managing staff and vendors and cross-department teams;
● Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects;
● Commitment to collaboration and participating as a member of a team that recognizes that it is strengthened through its diversity; Nimble, resourceful, and responsive to the needs of team members up, down, and across HERE to HERE as well as the needs of critical partners;
● Strong interpersonal skills that inspire team members and colleagues with a commitment to excellence in communications;
● Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint excellence a must) and Google Suite. Experienced user of Adobe Creative Cloud required; experience with WordPress web editing software preferred;
● Proficiency with Hootsuite, Buffer or other social media monitoring software preferred, or willingness to learn and become proficient;
● Ability and willingness to travel throughout New York City using public transportation and to other cities (occasionally)
This is a full-time overtime-exempt position. HERE to HERE staff have worked remotely since March 2020. When the office opens, this role will be based out of the HERE to HERE office, located in The Bronx and will travel throughout NYC via public transportation to meetings and events.
HERE to HERE offers extremely generous medical (including sponsored dependent and family plans), dental and vision insurance, Employee Assistance Program, 401K match, generous paid time off benefits (currently 20 days PTO and 13 paid holidays), and paid parental leave.
How to Apply
To apply online, visit the H2H’s SocialHire job board [http://socialhireheretohere.force.com//CMFSH__PositionDetail?id=a063h000004mv06].
Please be sure to include a cover letter and resume. We will request writing samples during the interview process. We will be reviewing candidates until we find the right person for the role.
Job posted: 2020-12-24