Director, External Affairs, Global Public Health
Pioneering a new business model, Johnson & Johnson Global Public Health (GPH) is the first fully-dedicated organization within a healthcare company that combines R&D, access programs, in-country operations, and consumer insight capabilities to ensure that innovative treatments and technologies of public health importance are available, affordable and accessible to the world’s most underserved populations. With 100+ dedicated staff, GPH is active in Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, mental health, Ebola, COVID19, and several other areas of public health concern. The organization works across many regions and countries leveraging J&J’s global footprint and collaborating across sectors in public-private partnerships towards the vision of “Innovation for all, everywhere at the same time”.
The Director External Affairs, in close coordination with GPH colleagues within Worldwide Government Affairs & Policy (WWGA&P), Access Strategy and Impact (AS&I), Communications, Consumer Strategy Insights & Innovation, and other relevant functions, coordinates strategic engagement with external stakeholders and leads policy and advocacy work in assigned GPH priority areas, which may include pandemic preparedness and response, non-communicable diseases such as mental health, essential surgery, TB, HIV, etc. This position reports to the Senior Director External Affairs and will have a “dotted” reporting line to the Sr. Government Affairs & Policy lead for Global Public Health (WWGA&P).
• Lead the development and execution of external engagement strategies in assigned GPH priority areas with global and regional partners. Stakeholders may include multilateral organizations, donor governments, foundations, implementing organizations, think tanks, advocacy groups, public-private partnerships and other coalitions.
• Build strong relationships and serve as first point of contact for prioritized external stakeholders in assigned disease/product areas.
• Monitor external policy environment in assigned areas and provide updates and recommendations to the External Affairs Task Force and relevant disease/product teams.
• Develop and coordinate internal alignment on J&J/GPH positions on key topics relevant to assigned areas.
• Provide J&J input into external policy and strategy processes such as partner consultations, trade association documents, external policy briefs, UN resolutions, etc.
• Lead cross-functional efforts to secure multilateral funding for procurement of J&J global public health innovations (e.g. mental health, essential surgery) to enhance access in lower-income countries, with input from and in close collaboration with relevant functions (Market Access, AS&I, AI&I, others).
• Coordinate and support cross-functional efforts to obtain policy recommendations from WHO for use of J&J innovations, where relevant, in close coordination with R&D, Market Access, and others.
• Lead conceptualization of GPH events and engagements in assigned focus areas and support J&J participation in major external events such as the World Health Assembly to advance the GPH external affairs agenda.
• Lead (internal) External Affairs Working Groups in assigned areas – where relevant – to coordinate external engagement.
• Provide external affairs thought leadership in assigned topic areas.
• Enhance J&J’s reputation as a trusted private sector partner in global public health.
• Required education is a BA; preferred education is a Master’s degree in public policy, global health policy, or related field
• A minimum of 8 years work experience in global health policy, advocacy, government affairs, global health program management, or related field is required.
• Understanding of global health policy and international architecture
• Track record of working effectively with diverse global health stakeholders
• Excellent networking and diplomatic skills required. Demonstrated cultural sensitivity required.
• Demonstrated ability to research and draft clear, logical, compelling and concise documents and positions in English and articulate them effectively to influence key stakeholders and senior leaders as required.
• Healthcare industry experience strongly preferred
• Excellent verbal, representational and written communication skills required.
• Able to work independently, as well as collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams is required. Project management experience preferred.
• Demonstrated success at developing collaborative and effective relationships in complex, highly matrixed organization required.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-29