Director of External Affairs, West Coast
Suffolk is at a pivotal moment in its history. For more than 35 years, Suffolk has been reinventing city skylines, growing exceptional talent and shaping communities, but now the company is on the cusp of a remarkable transformation. Suffolk has a bold mission to grow its business beyond the core offerings of typical general contractors. The company is expanding its operations and client services across new verticals and in new sectors to redefine what it means to be a builder, revolutionize its industry and make a permanent mark on the world of business.
Individuals who join the Suffolk team during this period of great change and momentum will be part of a special experience that will energize them, challenge them and propel their professional careers. Suffolk is geared up for a thrilling journey that is just getting started.
The primary responsibility for the of the Director, External Affairs is to develop, maintain, and improve government affairs, and strategic external relations in our West Region. This includes identifying and building relationships with key influencers, engaging with elected officials and staff on policy priorities, engaging in fundraising and political activity, and supporting regional leadership in their engagement with influential boards, associations, and non-profits. In particular, the role will focus on building relationships with the Governor’s office, California state-wide elected officials, and California state agencies and public authorities. The role also requires partnership with the regional Business Development teams.
Suffolk is one of the most innovative and respected construction management firms in the country. It is a national organization with offices in Boston (Headquarters), New York City, Miami, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Estero, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego, and it services clients in the healthcare, science and technology, education, federal government, gaming, aviation and commercial sectors. Suffolk is privately held and is led by Founder, Chairman and CEO John Fish. The organization is ranked #23 on the Engineering News-Record list of “Top 400 Contractors” in the country. Suffolk is also a community-conscious organization driven by its core values, dedicated to environmentally friendly and sustainable business practices, and committed to making a positive impact in the community through grassroots volunteer work, employee fundraising and corporate giving.
- Develop and grow high-level relationships in California State Government, including with key influencers and decision makers in major state agencies and public authorities.
- Identify and execute opportunities for Suffolk to expand its role as a policy leader on issues critical to construction, real estate, and development.
- Provide thought-leadership in the regions key sectors while maintaining up-to-date knowledge of developments in these areas, including identifying strategic opportunities to influence state and regional budgets and bond measures that will lead to a growth in the construction sector.
- Actively manage high-level relationships with elected officials, their staff, and key leaders at public agencies and track progress on those efforts through a relationship management database (CRM).
- Work closely with National External Affairs, and Regional and National BD teams to ensure consistency of brand message and to build Suffolk name recognition and leadership on the West Coast.
- Actively participate in the development and execution of company long-term strategic plans.
- Represent Suffolk at relevant industry events and speaking engagements while maintaining excellent public speaking and presentation skills in client facing and high-pressure situations.
- Execute regional strategy for government affairs including building relationships, coordinating regional political fundraising activities, and interfacing with key decision makers at a state level.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Marketing, or relevant discipline with seven years’ experience in the field or a related area.
- Extensive knowledge of state, and local politics and government. Including strong existing relationships with elected leaders, public agency leadership, and regional influencers. Including, but not limited to, existing relationships in the Governor’s office.
- Comprehensive knowledge of major upcoming public investments and projects in the region, key decision makers, and funding mechanisms.
- A thorough familiarity with real estate development and public procurement concepts, definitions, practices, and procedures is fundamental.
- Candidate must possess Suffolk’s Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Hard Work, Professionalism, and Caring.
- Candidate must be resilient and adaptable to evolution in the industry and markets.
- Strong communication and organizational skills are necessary, along with an ability to be self-directed.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented, focused, and thoughtful in driving action.
- Demonstrated experience communicating broad strategic initiatives to both key stakeholders and diverse internal teams.
- Passion to rapidly build expertise in new region and/or industry verticals.
- Understanding and knowledge related to dynamics and trends that affect our clients.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level.
Suffolk Construction is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-21