Director, External Communications- 509168
Provides overall leadership and strategic direction for the TVA Media Relations and Marketing department. Leads and supervises the team responsible for developing and implementing TVA’s external communications strategy and TVA’s brand and marketing strategy. Supports the VP in developing, leading and executing a fully integrated TVA media and external communications program that builds equity in the TVA brand, strengthens TVA’s reputation, promotes TVA’s value proposition, and identifies opportunities for improved organizational and workflow effectiveness.
Supervisory Responsibility —10 or more professional employees
- Responsible for the development and execution of a content strategy across all utilized marketing channels. Leads teams who are responsible for managing editing across all content initiatives while driving positive brand awareness, engagement, and lead generation.
- Leads the development of TVA’s corporate level policy for external communications through design of a TVA-wide community outreach vision and strategy that support TVA’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Manages and develops staff work with regional, national, and trade news media; ensuring consistent messaging that aligns with corporate vision. Provides strategic direction for accomplishing TVA’s goals and objectives related to media relations.
- Recommends and oversees the implementation of media strategies for initiatives and newsworthy events to emphasize the benefits to the public of TVA activities and programs as well as strategies for tactical engagement with potential opponents and works with staff to obtain coverage of positive TVA topics and provides information in response to media questions.
- Oversees the development and implementation of public relations and thought leadership strategies for the designated region of responsibility including proactively developing story ideas and pitches to appropriate media outlets, preparing news releases and other tools, and responding to media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Drives marketing technology integration and optimization by monitoring intended outcomes of campaigns and aligning marketing strategies and tactics with business goals.
- Provides leadership and guidance to Media and External communications staff to support the development of effective strategy and quality execution of communications plans and messaging in conjunction with SBU priorities and TVA goals
- Leads the strategic communications to development and implementation of BU and enterprise-wide strategic communication and marketing plans, and ensures plans for both internal and external stakeholders are aligned with company vision, strategies, and goals.
- Benchmarks the organization’s current marketing activities, performance and investment against industry best practices, and through gap analysis, develops a roadmap for improvements and business case for undertaking necessary changes.
- Drives process optimization by developing consistent, repeatable processes that can be quickly adapted to changing business conditions or priorities; selectively adopt principles from agile and other lean methodologies; monitors outcomes, and adapts workflow and change management plan as needed.
- Develops processes for selection, management and collaboration with suppliers, agencies, data aggregators and brokers, media partners, and other external constituencies.
- Directs campaign and lead management, including developing and refining techniques used to measure engagement, conversion, and trends for marketing efforts, including campaigns and ongoing programs.
- Assists VP in managing or performing special assignments as assigned.
Education – Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business or a related study. A Master’s degree is preferred
Experience –10 or more years of demonstrated experience in strategic planning, public relations, external communications, government relations, communication, marketing, or media relations preferred. Must have management experience leading a team in the same area of work required for this position, interfacing with all levels of management, and experience implementing initiatives for a large organization or corporation. Must have demonstrated results with a record of accomplishment of developing strategy, leading major initiatives, understanding the customer, focusing on core business issues and meeting objectives.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities — A broad understanding of TVA organizations, their relationships, and the complexity of TVA functioning as a utility, government, and regulatory agency. Excellent communication skills and ability to positively interact with and influence management and employees at all levels. Possesses interpersonal skills, ability to influence, conflict resolution, change management, problem solving, customer focus, relationship building, strategic planning, statistical analysis, budgeting, and/or project management is desired. Knowledge of lean, agile, and other modern organizational structures. Ability to implement workflow processes that maximize efficiency for the team. Strong analytical, data management and measurement skills. Candidate may be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance based on position / access requirements and essential job functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
TVA values and embraces diversity. We encourage all individuals to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status and age. We strive to be inclusive of all the people we serve across the Valley.
TVA is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. Any applicant or employee who believes s/he has a discrimination claim (including harassment or retaliation) must contact TVA’s Equal Opportunity Compliance office within 45 calendar days of the event or action s/he believes to constitute discrimination, harassment, or retaliation.
All TVA Non-Nuclear employees are covered by TVA’s Federal Drug-Free Workplace Program Plan, in accordance with Executive Order 12564, Public Law 100-71 and the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing. Information regarding the Drug Free Workplace Program can be found at www.samhsa.gov/workplace. TVA Non-Nuclear employees in Testing Designated Positions, including those performing safety-sensitive duties are also subject to random drug testing. TVA Nuclear employees are subject to random alcohol and drug tests in accordance with 10 CFR Part 26 as mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
How to Claim Vet Preference
If you are a U.S. Military Veteran and would like to be considered a preference-eligible veteran for the purposes of your employment application to TVA, please take the necessary actions outlined in the application process. Please submit your military documents each time you apply for a position.
How to Submit Documentation:
1) Upload documents after you complete the application by clicking Careers Home, Cover Letters and Attachments, and Add Attachment, or
2) Email documents to Veteran@tva.gov
Job posted: 2019-08-17