Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, External Communications
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of Earth.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, as Director of External Communications you are the External Communications team lead and strategist. In this role of strategist and do-er, you will develop and implement communications strategies to advance Blue Origin’s business objectives and drive the overarching brand narrative and storytelling, overseeing all external communications activities.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
The role is based in Kent, WA, and reports to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications.
- Drives strategy and execution of external comms campaigns and activities for commercial, civil, consumer and brand (including Blue Origin’s foundation Club for the Future)
- Responsible for alignment with business unit and functional leads for communications strategy and asset development
- Owns day to day management of media relations and messaging development
- Leads a small team of senior external communications professionals, acting as both a leader and a hands-on member of the team, partnering with and supporting your team’s programs, which can range from launch communications and business unit campaigns to corporate and government relations communications
- Partners with our Internal Communications team to ensure external and internal communications are aligned
- Approves external assets and leads gaining executive and stakeholder approvals, partnering with the company’s Creative Team
- Leads and approves day to day media messaging and responses for FAQs – escalates new subjects as needed for executive alignment
- Drives strategy for crisis communications for operational and event-based scenarios
- Oversees and drives Blue owned channel management and strategy (social, website)
- Driver and approver of all executive speaking opportunities and engagements
- Lead archival footage activities to document Blue’s history
- Manages external agencies and the budget for all External Communications activities
- Develops and presents campaign strategy to company executives
- 12+ years of experience with public relations, communications, brand and marketing to include experience with aerospace or technology industries
- B.A./B.S. degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Demonstrated relationships with reporters at key industry publications and top-tier media; respect for journalism mindset
- Demonstrated experience and comfort regularly engaging with reporters on background, off-the-record and on the record
- Experience as an on the record spokesperson
- Experience with crisis communications in high-stakes scenarios
- Deep experience with top-level executive communications
- Demonstrated proficiency using social media platforms
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Production and webcast experience
- Communications experience in the aerospace industry
- Experience being an on-camera spokesperson
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-06