Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director External & Community Relations – Lustgarten Foundation
Madison Square Garden Entertainment Corp. (MSG Entertainment) is a leader in live entertainment. The Company presents or hosts a broad array of events in its diverse collection of venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; and The Chicago Theatre. MSG Entertainment is also building a new state-of-the-art venue in Las Vegas, MSG Sphere at The Venetian. In addition, the Company features the original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces the Boston Calling Music Festival. The Company’s two regional sports and entertainment networks, MSG Network and MSG+, deliver a wide range of live sports content and other programming. Also under the MSG Entertainment umbrella is Tao Group Hospitality, with entertainment dining and nightlife brands including: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Beauty & Essex, Cathédrale, Hakkasan and Omnia. More information is available at www.msgentertainment.com.
The Director, External Relations Department drives the Foundation’s external engagement strategies with a focus on fundraising, expanding the Foundation’s universe of corporate sponsors and mission-inspired volunteers, and enhancing national awareness of the Foundation’s significant contributions to pancreatic cancer treatment and cures.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director, External Relations Department is a tactical and strategic partner on matters relating to community fundraising and public awareness of the Foundation’s mission and brand, is a seasoned communicator in the cancer research space, and who proactively supports the success of the Foundation’s leadership. The Director, External Relations Department promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values the power of research, innovation, inclusion, collaboration, and appreciation.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Creates, leads and supports initiatives and programs that amplify Lustgarten Foundation’s capacity to fundraise.
- Nurtures relationships with community and corporate entities.
- Fosters new strategic partnerships and alliances.
- Strengthens public perception of the power of medical research and the need for funding to support Lustgarten’s mission.
- Designs and executes an annual agenda of outreach initiatives around the U.S.
- Grows community fundraising activities and revenues while managing community volunteer expectations and expense thresholds.
- Empowers the External Relations team with consistent, supportive and collaborative management, modeling co-creative leadership.
- Monitors the External Relations Department’s expense and revenue budget in support of the Foundation’s goals and objectives.
- Ensures the overall effectiveness of the External Relations Department as it communicates and collaborates with other Foundation departments.
- Minimum 8+ years’ strategic alliance development experience, community outreach and engagements, and volunteer recruitment in service to fundraising.
- Proven track record of designing, managing and hosting conferences with subject matter experts and the public, including peer-to-peer fundraising activities, and annual fundraising events for non-profit organizations.
- Best practices knowledge of fundraising tactics for grant-making health and human services organizations.
- Demonstrable experience managing and developing non-profit staff and Board leadership.
- Management style that fosters professional growth of direct reports.
Skills and Qualities
- Conceptualizes and executes strategic communications and development plans.
- Intent on establishing new sponsorship and donor opportunities and nurture existing ones.
- Media savvy.
- Superior organizational and project management skills.
- Unflappable under pressure of competing priorities.
- Expertise in convening subject matter experts and the public for facilitated town-hall style events.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills a must.
- Initiates, edits and substantively contributes to engaging and effective press releases, media alerts, and corporate sponsorship proposals.
- Possesses excellent working knowledge of corporate social responsibility mandates and trends.
- Self-directed and able to work collaboratively, across departments, in a team environment.
- Conceptualizes new and improved value-addeds for community engagements.
- Identifies opportunities with potential sponsors and pro-actively brings opportunities for new strategic alliances to the team and across departments.
- Leads with mature perspective, tireless mentor, with willingness to foster professional development of direct reports.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred.
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.
Job posted: 2022-01-02