Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, External Government Affairs & Advocacy
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) seeks an individual for the position of Director of External Affairs. This position is responsible for creating and maintaining relationships with external entities to advance the ADA’s advocacy priorities and mission and assisting with federal legislative affairs work. Among other duties, the position’s responsibilities include building relationships for ADA externally and interfacing with internal colleagues and federal legislative affairs consultants to ensure are created and maintained to support federal government affairs work and vital communication is carried throughout the organization. This position works under the supervision of the Chief Advocacy Officer and works closely with colleagues in ADA’s Grassroots Advocacy, Federal Government Affairs, Payment and Regulatory Policy, Legal Advocacy, and Communications teams to achieve the ADA’s advocacy goals. Candidates for this position must have strong written and verbal communication skills, federal legislative lobbying experience, and be able to manage multiple priority projects.
The successful incumbent will:
- Act as liaison for the ADA to certain advocacy coalitions
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with assigned third party stakeholders, including industry, public health advocacy and key nonprofit groups
- Provide and/or facilitate regular advocacy communication with policy offices at the Centers for Disease Control
- Work in tandem with colleagues on the federal and state teams to support major ADA-led advocacy campaigns, including by drafting fact sheets, reports, press releases, and other materials.
- Support volunteer leadership by staffing assigned committees and working groups.
Qualifications and experience should include:
- Bachelor’s degree, with five years’ experience in coalition management. federal government affairs or public policy.
- Relationships and an excellent reputation with major third-party public health organizations and other stakeholder groups in the federal policy arena
- Knowledge of federal health and science policy matters and process
- Experience creating clear and compelling written presentations and public speaking
- A strong personal commitment to preventing and curing diabetes and improving the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
Compensation range: $65,000 to $80,000 Max
You will be eligible for the following standard ADA benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision coverage for employees, as well as coverage for eligible dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Savingss Account
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance and AD&D coverage
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match
- Paid vacation, personal and sick leave
- 9 annual paid holidays
In the immediate term, the individual in this position will work remotely.
Take Your Career On A Mission
More than 122 million Americans have diabetes or prediabetes and are striving to manage their lives while living with the disease. Every day more than 4,000 people are newly diagnosed with diabetes in America. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) offers a rewarding career working for one of the premier voluntary health organizations in the world supporting people with type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
Our employees like working at the ADA because of our mission, the inclusive environment, remote working, and our competitive benefits package. Joining our dedicated team affords the gratification of knowing beyond a doubt that you will impact the lives and well-being of millions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the American Diabetes Association to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To find out more about the ADA as well as other exciting and fulfilling career opportunities please visit us at www.diabetes.org/careers. For full consideration, you must apply directly to the ADA Careers Page.
There’s nothing we can’t do when we’re Connected for Life!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-25