Director, Federal Affairs
AHLA is seeking a full-time Director, Federal Affairs to be responsible for policy development and
advocacy before the U.S. Congress and other federal government agencies. In this role, they will be part
of a dynamic team advocating for the hotel and lodging industry’s interests, implementing key
strategies, strengthening critical relationships with Members of Congress and their staff – as well as
other key stakeholders – working aggressively and strategically on multiple issues of critical importance
to AHLA and the industry.
• Working in close coordination with the broader Government Affairs team, represent the
domestic lodging industry and its core advocacy agenda before Congress, the Administration,
federal agencies, and their respective staffs.
• Facilitate, secure, and execute high level meetings with key stakeholders including
Congressional and Administration officials and member company representatives.
• Working in collaboration with the federal affairs team, develop and execute strategy that helps
drive policy making that benefits our members, their employees, and their customers.
• Monitor, anticipate, and understand federal legislative and regulatory policy activities to
strategically shape industry positions, advocacy, and response.
• Draft letters, talking points, collateral, testimony, industry policy, and white papers on behalf of
the hotel industry.
• Coordinate outreach to coalition groups, third-party organizations and industry partners.
• Brief internal and external officials on key advocacy initiatives.
• Collaborate closely with AHLA’s public relations and communications team on strategic
messaging, news releases and public statements pertaining to legislative issues.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in political science, public affairs, public administration, or
related area or equivalent work experience.
• 5-7 years of Capitol Hill, Administration, Government Relations //Public
• Knowledge of the legislative process at the federal, state and local levels.
• Ability to analyze how legislative language or regulatory proposals could impact
member companies and effectively communicate.
• Demonstrated success in lobbying federal government.
• Ability to project manage multiple projects.
• Proven ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
• Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in
varying stages of development under time constraints.
Skills and Attributes:
• Effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent project management skills with great attention to detail, and strong workethic.
• Professional demeanor and excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write and
edit clear, engaging,and grammatically correct content; willingness to be coached.
• Self-motivated individual who is also a team player with a high level of professionalism and
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Experienced computer and software knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word,Excel,
• Proven ability to prioritize, execute project tasks and conform to shifting priorities as needed
• Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented
• Excellent customer service skills
• Demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills.
• Position based in Washington, DC.
• Moderate travel is required.
AHLA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2021-07-11