Director of Federal Affairs
About the job
In partnership with the VP, Government Affairs and Advocacy, the Federal Affairs Director is responsible for the identification, development, and management of strategic relationships with Members of Congress, their staff, key Congressional Committees with jurisdiction over Medicaid, and political appointees in executive branch agencies (HHS/CMS/OMB) with the purpose of advancing the Medicaid priorities of MHPA.
- Maintains, develops, and enhances relationships with Members of Congress (focus on Congressional leadership, House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Senate Finance Committee members, from both sides of the political spectrum), Congressional staff, and political appointees of executive branch agencies (HHS/CMS/OMB).
- Carries out federal lobbying activities advancing the priorities of the Medicaid managed care industry.
- Drafts letters to Congress, the Administration, MHPA newsletters and updates for MHPA members, and other documents intended to brief MHPA members on developments on Capitol Hill and in the Administration.
- Working with the policy team, reviews legislation and provides feedback to Congressional staff.
- Monitor and report out on Congressional hearings, briefings, and other Medicaid/health care related events.
- Assists with MHPA PAC operations and attends political events on behalf of the PAC as needed.
- Actively engages with several Medicaid/health care related coalitions and maintains other strategic partnerships, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, managed care, and/or health policy issues.
- Deep understanding of federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Extensive existing relationships with key members of Congress (particular focus on members serving on House Energy and Commerce and the Senate Finance Committee), Congressional staff, and political appointees of executive branch agencies.
- Knowledge about associations and Capitol Hill.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making
- Microsoft Office products
- Professional and positive approach
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Attention to detail
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. MPH or similar advanced degree preferred, but not required. 5 years of experience working on Capitol Hill, in a corporation, or health care organization or trade association is preferred. Experience in Medicaid/managed care policy strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. MHPA also offers excellent benefits, including insurance coverage (health, STD/LTD, AD&D, Life), a 401k retirement plan, flexible schedules and vacation and medical leave benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@mhpa.org. Open until filled.
Job posted: 2021-11-17