Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Federal Affairs
Director, Federal Affairs
Position Title: Director, Federal Affairs
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Federal Affairs
The American Hotel and Lodging Association is seeking a full-time Director of Federal Affairs to be responsible for policy development and advocacy before the U.S. Congress and other federal government agencies. In this role, they will be part of a dynamic team advocating for the hotel and lodging industry’s interests, implementing key strategies, strengthening critical relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs and other key stakeholders. The director will independently manage a portfolio of issues and maintain relationships with Hill offices on behalf of the Association and the lodging industry.
- Working in close coordination with the broader Government Affairs team, represent the domestic lodging industry and its core advocacy agenda before Congress, the Administration, federal/state agencies, and their respective staffs.
- Facilitate, secure, and execute high level meetings with key stakeholders including Congressional and Administration officials, and member company representatives.
- Develop and execute strategy that helps drive policy making that benefits our members, their employees, and their customers.
- Monitor, anticipate, and understand federal legislative and regulatory policy activities to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the EVP of Gov’t Affairs, CEO, and other senior management staff to strategically shape industry positions, advocacy, and response.
- Draft communications for internal and external audiences.
- Coordinate outreach to think-tanks, third-party organizations and industry partners.
- Brief internal and external executives on key messages for Capitol Hill and the Administration.
- Collaborate closely with AHLA’s public relations and communications team on strategic messaging, news releases and public statements pertaining to legislative issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, public affairs, public administration, or related area or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in government affairs or on Capitol Hill preferred.
- Knowledge of the legislative process at the federal, state and local levels.
- Ability to analyze how legislative language or regulatory proposals could impact member companies and effectively communicate policy implications.
- Demonstrated success in lobbying federal government.
- Ability to project manage multiple projects.
- Proven ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
Skills and Attributes:
- Effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent project management skills with great attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
- Professional demeanor and excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content; willingness to be coached.
- Self-motivated individual who is also a team player with a high level of professionalism and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Experienced computer and software knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proven ability to prioritize, execute project tasks and conform to shifting priorities as needed
- Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills.
- Position based in Washington, DC.
- Moderate travel is required.
Interested applicants can apply by sending their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AHLA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2022-11-01