Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Federal Affairs
The National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) is the national membership organization for the nation’s federally qualified health centers (also known as FQHCs or Community Health Centers). Health centers are nonprofit, community-directed health clinics that provide access to high-quality, culturally competent, and comprehensive care to people living in medically underserved areas. NACHC strengthens the health center movement through advocacy, training, and technical assistance, clinical and operations support. NACHC is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
The Director of Federal Affairs is a full-time, Alexandria, Virginia-based position reporting to the Senior Vice President for Public Policy and Research. Federal Affairs is a Department within NACHC’s Public Policy and Research Division. The Director is responsible for developing legislative and regulatory policy agendas and accompanying strategies through both internal and external collaborative efforts to advance NACHC’s priorities. The position will support and engage in direct legislative, policy education and advocacy with Members of Congress and staff, Congressional committees, and other federal departments, offices, and agencies.
- Develop, in conjunction with NACHC leadership, the Association’s objectives and strategies on priority policy matters, and direct day-to-day activities of the Federal Affairs professional staff and interns on these matters, to include:
- Federal legislation
- President’s Annual Budget
- Health Center mandatory and discretionary funding programs and priorities
- Health Care and entitlement reform implementation and revisions
- Other federal legislative policies affecting community health centers
- Presidential and Congressional transitions
- Workforce developmentLow-cost capital programs for health centers
- Coalition development and management
- Build and maintain relationships with key policymakers and staff, with particular focus on Congress, key Committees of jurisdiction, leadership offices. Congressional health center champions, Community Health Center Caucus members, Administration personnel and partner organizations.
- Develop and publicly present NACHC legislative agenda at state, regional and national conferences.
- Work in conjunction with the National Advocacy Director to coordinate timing and scope of advocacy outreach.
- Coordinate with the Director of Policy Research on an agenda that furthers the federal policy objectives.
- Coordinate with the Director of Federal and State Policy on joint policy areas.
- Develop key messages, presentations and scripts for external meetings and represent NACHC before key external stakeholder groups.
- Assist in meeting planning and coordination, including:
- Conference strategy assistance
- Development of presentations
- Ensure effective project management of multiple Federal Affairs deliverables for NACHC meetings, to include Congressional awards and events, policy papers, Hill Day, Congressional briefings
- Assist the Division leadership in responding to internal and external inquiries, meeting requests, requests for information and data, and requests for media interviews
- Provide staff leadership and support for the NACHC Legislative Committee and oversee staff assistance to other key NACHC committees or task forces.
- Coordinate with Senior Vice President for Public Policy and Research to ensure effective staffing of Department:
- Interview and recommend final candidates for approved positions as well as interns
- Manage Departmental employee annual review process, development of employee work plans, employee time sheets
- Ensure coordination with Human Resources Dept. of any personnel matters that require reporting
- Review and ensure timely production of communication deliverables, to include:
- Website and blogs
- Washington Update
- President’s Report – Federal Affairs Section
- Annual Policy Papers
- Support and participate in weekly internal staff meetings and other senior level meetings as determined
- Ensure appropriate coordination with other NACHC Divisions and Departments:
- Conference education session submissions and management
- Communications messaging
- Coordination with Training and Technical Assistance Department on changing educational needs based on policy changes
- Master’s or other advanced degree (preferred) and a minimum of 6 years related experience
- History of enacting a successful legislative campaign
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong teamwork, project management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan, organize, and evaluate policy initiatives and legislation
- Thorough knowledge of Congress and the legislative process
- Excellent verbal, written, and digital communications
Job posted: 2023-01-28