Director, Federal Affairs – Consumer Health
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science — bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
Johnson & Johnson’s Consumer Health business develops and markets personal care products, over-the-counter medicines, and dietary supplement products that help millions of people around the world take care of themselves and their loved ones. The portfolio includes heritage brands JOHNSON’S® Baby, BAND-AID® and LISTERINE®, leading skin care brands such as AVEENO® and NEUTROGENA®, dietary supplement brands such as ZARBEE’S®, and self-care brands including TYLENOL® and ZYRTEC®.
Diversity and inclusion are central elements of the shared culture across the Johnson & Johnson enterprise. Attracting, developing and retaining a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities is essential to our success. We are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive and accessible work environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
In the role of Director, Federal Affairs – Consumer Health, you will be part of a global Government Affairs & Policy team whose mission is to unleash the power of people and policy to create a healthier future for all. The Director will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies including engaging in direct Federal lobbying activities in support of the corporation’s Consumer Health business and the patients and consumers we serve. We will look to you to establish and maintain relationships with a wide array of internal colleagues including colleagues across the global Government Affairs & Policy department as well as external stakeholders to identify, shape, and advance Federal legislative and policy priorities to support Consumer Health business objectives as well as the larger enterprise.
Represent the corporation both internally and externally to develop, implement and direct Federal lobbying activities aimed at advancing legislative and policy priorities relating to Johnson & Johnson’s global Consumer Health business.
Interact with key audiences including U.S. Congress, the Administration, and relevant Federal agencies including but not limited to the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Engage and build relationships with external organizations including trade associations, congressional caucuses, consumer and patient organizations, provider professional societies, environmental groups, and other stakeholder organizations.
Manage day to day activities concerning legislation and regulations to shape the external environment and inform decisions by policymakers and lawmakers to benefit customers, shareholders, and the business.
Work on matters specific to the Consumer Health business in collaboration with specific franchises as well as represent Federal Affairs on other issues and activities related to the larger enterprise.
Work closely with colleagues across Government Affairs & Policy (State, Health Policy, International) to lead efforts to shape and execute external strategies to achieve Consumer Health and other business priorities.
Build and lead effective, multifunctional working teams that bring together internal subject-matter specialists to address business risks and opportunities.
Identify and understand emerging and future trends in the external environment that could have an impact on Johnson & Johnson’s Consumer Health business.
Protect and enhance the reputation of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health through identifying strategic thought leadership opportunities on priority issues such as skin cancer prevention, sustainability, and ingredient transparency.
Participate, serve, and assume leadership positions on internal workstreams dedicated to key issues or interests of GA&P, Law Department, and Corporate Communications.
Participate, serve, and/or assume leadership positions on relevant industry-related associations (such as the Personal Care Products Council, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association and the Council for Responsible Nutrition), committees, and networking organizations to represent J&J policy interests.
Interact with Corporate Communications, Law Department, and J&J operating company and corporate personnel and senior management.
Coordinate on various assignments with additional business partners including within the pharmaceutical and medical device businesses and corporate operations as needed.
- Minimum 8 years of robust experience in government, government affairs and/or public policy or political arena
- BA degree
- Command for and proven success in complex, cross-functional organizations
- Hold a strong understanding of fundamental principles of the legislative and regulatory making processes as well as the geopolitical environment
- Possess superior verbal and written communication skills, including ability to develop strong relationships with diverse individuals/groups
- Demonstrate an affinity for processing complex information and summarizing it concisely in writing and/or verbally in a professional manner and in a time sensitive environment
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with numerous internal and external stakeholders in a value-based and Credo-compliant manner
- Confirmed ability to lead in a Credo-based environment
- Executive presence with the ability to establish credibility across all levels of the business and with external customers
- Advanced degree in relevant fields including business, public policy, law, public health, environmental studies
- Strong understanding of regulatory process and FDA related to personal care products, over-the-counter medicine, and dietary supplements
- Strong background in environmental sustainability policy and related advocacy
- Strong relationships/background with relevant retail community
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-17