Director, Federal Government Relations
About Cardinal Health
Cardinal Health, Inc. is a global, integrated healthcare services and products company, providing customized solutions for hospitals, healthcare systems, pharmacies, ambulatory surgery centers, clinical laboratories and physician offices worldwide. The company provides clinically proven medical products and pharmaceuticals and cost-effective solutions that enhance supply chain efficiency from hospital to home. Cardinal Health connects patients, providers, payers, pharmacists and manufacturers for integrated care coordination and better patient management. Backed by nearly 100 years of experience, with approximately 50,000 employees in nearly 60 countries, Cardinal Health ranks #15 on the Fortune 500.
The Director, Federal Government Relations reports to the Vice President, Government Relations and Public Policy and is responsible for motivating, developing, and leading the Federal Government Relations team. The Director, Federal Government Relations role is essential to maintaining clear and frequent communications within the Government Relations team and is responsible for strategic oversight and leadership direction within the Federal Government Relations function. The Director, Government Relations will promote a professional team environment.
The Director, Federal Government Relations will provide strategic direction and leadership both internally and externally to help guide Cardinal Health’s policy agenda. The Director will work with company executives and stakeholders as well as outside organizations, associations and coalitions. The Director will engage with Members of Congress and staff, Administration officials, and relevant policy makers.
- Plan and execute a comprehensive, proactive government relations strategy to advance Cardinal Health’s mission and goals with elected officials and applicable government agencies.
- Work with Government Relations, Regulatory, Legal, and other business units to monitor and evaluate proposed legislation and regulations, while identifying public policy issues, assessing the impact on Cardinal Health and our stakeholders, and developing recommendations and/or recommended solutions.
- Serve as a liaison between Cardinal Health and federal agencies, legislators, and staff for designated business areas and lobby on assigned topics.
- Ensure that all investments and activities in government relations programming within the assigned area are fully compliant with all applicable legal standards and internal ethics requirements.
- Prepare letters, testimony, and memos in collaboration with other Cardinal Health representatives, trade associations and stakeholders to achieve acceptable language.
- Plan and organize meetings with legislators, regulators, key stakeholders, and others.
- Manage contract lobbyists and trade association memberships in order to advance legislation favorable to corporate strategic initiatives. Collaborate with other stakeholders to advance these positions.
- Participate in internal senior-level long-range planning and policy discussions to ensure broad understanding of the strategic drivers of Cardinal Health’s engagement on policy issues.
- Prepare substantive written materials for meetings and follow-up action items.
- Regularly present to business units and executive leadership regarding policy trends that may impact Cardinal Health.
- Responsible for developing, establishing, and managing federal government relations positions and strategies to drive business priorities.Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
- Minimum of 10-12 years of hands-on experience including significant experience in policy analysis and the legislative/regulatory process.
- Experience with diversified government relations leadership, planning, communication, organization, and people management experience.
- Mix of government and private sector experience preferred.
- Experienced with healthcare political, legislative and regulatory issues, as well as applicable governmental agencies and Congressional Committees
- Fluency with federal political and legislative processes.
This position is located in Washington, D.C.
What is expected of the Director role and others at this level
- Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to manage a wide variety of projects
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals
- Recommends new practices, processes, metrics, or models
- Works on or may lead complex projects of large scope
- Projects may have significant and long-term impact
- Provides solutions which may set precedent
- Independently determines method for completion of new projects
- Receives guidance on overall project objectives
- Acts as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, creed, status with regard to public assistance, genetic status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-15