Director, Federal Government Relations (US)
The position promotes Thermo Fisher Scientific by developing positive relations with senior strategic decision makers, members of Congress, leaders at relevant government agencies and industry organizations. The ideal candidate will contribute to growing Thermo Fisher’s revenue by promoting policies that improve the availability and economics of our diagnostics; formulating and advocating a cohesive company position on diagnostics reform; and supporting our pharma services business’s policymaking.
This new position – which after the pandemic will be based at our Capitol Hill office – offers a unique opportunity to join a growing government relations effort that has been transformed by the company’s involvement in every aspect of COVID-19 response around the world.
This person will represent the company’s diagnostics and pharma services positions on Capitol Hill and with the Executive Branch. The issues include diagnostics reform, medical device policy; personalized medicine; CMS reimbursement policies; pharmaceutical manufacturing; active pharmaceutical ingredient supply chains and similar issues. The person will:
- Work as part of the U.S. government relations team in determining and carrying out the company’s U.S. federal strategy on issues that affect our specialty and molecular diagnostics portfolios and our pharma services business;
- Promote Thermo Fisher’s capabilities and leadership with officials in government agencies and legislative branches.
- Collaborate in the development of public policy positions to drive commercial opportunities with U.S. federal programs;
- Meet with members of Congress and their staff to convey and advocate for our company’s positions; meetings may be alongside senior executives; effectively work with both political parties and with members of Congress from across the US;
- Organize and host members of Congress, other officials or candidates at our US sites to demonstrate our impact on local communities and demonstrate the impact of federal issues on our businesses;
- Manage Thermo Fisher’s relationship with advocacy groups and associations including Medical Device Manufacturers Association, the Pharma & Biotech Outsourcing Association, the Personalized Medicine Coalition and other associations or coalitions;
- Attend political events as a representative of the Thermo Fisher Political Action Committee;
- Manage and collaborate with retained lobbyists to meet business objectives and achieve desired goals;
- Work in concert with the company’s communications teams to demonstrate and explain the impact of government issues on our employees, our customers, our business and others;
- Personal attachment to the mission of enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer;
- Bachelors or an advanced degree;
- Minimum of 6-8 years of progressive experience on Capitol Hill, at a lobbying firm, association and/or company handling life sciences, diagnostics or pharmaceutical issues; Strong relationships on Capitol Hill and across the life sciences and biotech industries;
- Aptitude for clear, concise written and verbal communications;
- Ability to work confidently with senior executives and officials, pursuing near-term activities with long-term objectives in mind;
- Self-directed and self-motivated to action;
- 30% domestic travel may be necessary, after the pandemic
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-29