Director, Federal Legislative Affairs & Alliance DevelopmentBaxter InternationalWashington, D.C.About BaxterBaxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.Position Overview
- Based in Washington, DC, the Director, Federal Legislative Affairs and Alliance Development will develop, lead and deliver comprehensive Government Affairs & Public Policy (GAPP) strategies and to establish high-level external relations for Baxter with political institutions and related networks in the U.S.
- Our main face to Congress, advocating for Baxter’s key legislative priorities regarding Baxter’s Renal portfolio.
- Influence external stakeholders to change policy in support of ongoing innovation and patients’ access to healthcare.
- Report to the VP of Global GAPP and serve as a lobbyist in the U.S. on specified Baxter issues related to the U.S. Renal franchise.
- Develop a strong government relations network aligned to the advancement of the organizations’ patient access objectives on a wide range of key issue areas.
- Serve as the liaison with the U.S. Renal franchise and key third party organizations.
- Develop and implement Baxter’s lobbying and public affairs strategies as they relate to key federal policies
- Ensure a favorable legal and policy environment to support continued access to Baxter products
- Establish him/herself as a preferred healthcare industry partner for external stakeholders
- Ensure that Baxter’s strategic initiatives are positively represented to existing and potential stakeholders
- Develop and execute influencing campaigns and lobbying programs to support Baxter’s interest on strategically important legislative issues
- Monitor U.S. federal legislation and policy relating to healthcare issues and effectively communicates to internal/external stakeholders
- Identify, analyze, and track regulatory (e.g. FDA) developments and emerging issues that could impact Baxter
- Actively engage with external stakeholders including trade associations to support Baxter’s public policy engagements
- Serve as a strategic advisor in business planning processes that relate to policy makers and payers, and coordinate with others including Policy & Reimbursement to convene for strategic planning as necessary
- Actively participate in various coalitions and working groups in support of Baxter’s policy agenda
- Manage work with external vendors/consultants as it pertains to outreach and ensures business expectations are met
Key RequirementsCompetency Profile
- Policy: Actively participates in government sponsored initiatives and bodies that shape guidelines and policies
- Trends: Summarizes and communicates monitoring activities to peers and leaders at Baxter
- Policy makers: Influences decisions related to policies and regulations that provide positive outcomes to patients and value for Baxter
- Communication: Effectively delivers clear and impactful messages and conveys a professional presence
- Internal stakeholders: Effectively collaborates with various internal stakeholders to achieve mutual objectives
- External stakeholders: Effectively collaborates with various external stakeholders to achieve mutual objectives
- Cross-functional: Leads cross-functional teams for relevant strategy formulations and executions
- Reimbursement: Proactively influences decision-makers throughout the entire reimbursement process Influencing styles
- Dealing with ambiguity: Successfully translates key issues into actions and communicates them clearly to colleague
Education And Experience
- 8 or more years of experience working in Public Affairs
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree in Political Science, Economics, Health Economics, Law, MBA, Public Policy/Public Administration, and/or Health Administration/Public Health preferred
- Experience working as a congressional aide or related experience and ideally currently in an external lobbyist role
- Ideally experience working for a biotechnology/pharmaceutical company or other institutional/corporate experience
- Previous Renal experience a benefit
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and communicates comfortably with high-profile audiences
Equal Employment OpportunityBaxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.EEO is the LawEEO is the law – Poster SupplementPay Transparency PolicyReasonable AccommodationsBaxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 6, 2017