Director – Federal Relations
This position is responsible for direct federal lobbying activities in support of API advocacy objectives. Duties associated with these responsibilities include: direct lobbying of Members of Congress, congressional staff, and federal agencies; development of lobbying strategy and tactics in conjunction with API federal relations, state relations, mobilization, and the Committee on Federal Relations; and, coalition building and management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Acquires a working knowledge of API issues and activities. Responds to member and public inquires; provides substantive answers and materials as needed or makes referrals to the appropriate Council resource.
• Advocates API’s interests through direct lobbying of Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and federal agencies.
• Seeks opportunities to convey API messages to, and cultivate relationships with, elected officials, their staff and allied organizations important in support of API’s advocacy priorities.
• Represents API at various functions, and when required, makes speeches and presentations.
• Coordinates and manages teams of member company Washington Representatives.
• Develops and maintains effective working relationships with appropriate internal staff resources and external contacts including, but not limited to member company representatives, consultants, vendors, coalition/trade association partners and government agencies.
• Occasional domestic travel may be required.
• Works on special projects and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bachelor’s degree in political science or relevant discipline required or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of ten (10) year’s advocacy experience with proven track record of success in congressional, executive branch, trade association government relations, or related experience.
• Working knowledge of congressional protocols and processes.
• Working knowledge of executive branch protocols and processes.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues, projects, tasks, and information/requests.
• Ability to use independent judgment in evaluating situations/issues.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as experience working with Internet applications.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-16