Director of Federal Relations
Description of Work
To work with the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development and Chancellor to:
• Advance UNL’s relationship with Nebraska’s Congressional Delegation, Congressional staff, federal funding agencies, and government officials;
• Serve as the primary liaison between UNL and Congressional Members and staff, as well as federal agencies on issues important to UNL;
• Communicate UNL’s position on federal and state issues of importance to policy decision makers;
• Help increase federal research funding;
• Strengthen UNL’s presence on and contributions to national and state panels, policy boards and commissions;
• Identify, monitor and analyze federal legislative and budget issues and opportunities for faculty to participate in hearings, task forces, forums and advisory groups;
• Promote UNL’s research growth and policy agenda with federal agencies and Congressional members;
• Respond to legislative inquiries and engage in strategic planning and issues management.
Salary is negotiable.
As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. See http://www.unl.edu/equity/notice-nondiscrimination.
Minimum Required Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 4 years’ experience in federal or state government relations or public policy.
• Demonstrated competence in high-level communications and organization.
• Knowledge of Congress, the Federal Executive Branch and state government.
• Ability to present scientific information clearly to elected officials and staff.
• Proficiency in typical software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Preferred Qualifications Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree.
• Understanding of the role and responsibility of federal and state government related to research universities.
Pre-Placement Driving Record Review Required
Criminal History Background Check Required
How to Apply: Click “Apply to this Job” and complete the information form. Attach a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three letters of reference.
For questions or accommodations related to this position contact Ember Welsch
Job posted: 2020-06-30