Director, Federal and State Policy and Strategy
At Lundbeck, we are tirelessly dedicated to restoring brain health so every person can be their best. Headquartered in Copenhagen with a U.S. home office in Deerfield, Ill., Lundbeck is the only global biopharmaceutical company focused solely on brain diseases. Our legacy in neuroscience goes back seven decades and we have a long heritage of innovation. Lundbeck has developed and commercialized some of the world’s most widely prescribed therapies for psychiatric and neurological disorders. Today, we remain uncompromisingly committed to improving the quality of life for people impacted by brain disorders. Lundbeck is unique from other biopharmaceutical companies in that we are 70 percent owned by a research-focused foundation. We have a deep and productive pipeline, and we continue to bring forward symptomatic therapies to help people live better lives, while simultaneously pursuing disease-modifying treatments.
ROLE BASED IN WASHINGTON DC
The Director, Federal and State Policy and Strategy position is responsible for serving as the internal subject matter expert for matters related to the external policy environment and collaboration with the executive team to identify threats and opportunities, including making recommendations on strategy for engagement. This individual will provide policy intelligence to internal stakeholders, effectively communicate impact and bring awareness of business critical issues for informed decision making, and work with subject matter experts within the company to assess impact on Lundbeck’s products and goals. In addition, this individual will lead analysis of federal and state policy issues that could impact Lundbeck’s patients, including assessment of risk, business impact and magnitude of threats, while also developing and supporting Government Affairs’ federal and state proactive policy priorities and the associated strategies. This role is also responsible for working with executive leadership on trade association engagement to ensure representation of Lundbeck’s point of view and supporting Government Affairs lobbyists with policy analysis on legislation impacting Lundbeck.
- Conducts analysis of federal and state legislation and regulations.
- Maintains deep understanding of policy matters in the external environment through engagement with trade associations, peers, consultants, trade press, as well as other internal and external experts.
- Collaborates with colleagues at Headquarters and in North America across Regulatory, Medical, Market Access and Legal functions on development of Lundbeck’s policy priorities that seek to improve patient access and foster innovation from a short and long-term perspective.
- Partners with key internal functions like Health Economics Outcomes Research, R&D, Market Access and Legal in development of validated key messages in support of Lundbeck advocacy.
- Collaborates with Government Affairs, Patient Advocacy colleagues and other functional experts in development of the strategy and tactics to carry out the company’s public policy priorities, including identifying aligned stakeholders in the patient and/or provider community.
- Engages frequently with PhRMA’s policy and regulatory functions to drive the Lundbeck voice in trade association positions.
- Manages regulatory consulting firm.
- Prepares executive briefing documents in support of trade association engagement.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and SKILLS:
- Accredited Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of healthcare experience with a minimum of 5 years in a policy-related role
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills accompanied by strong analytical skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics, keen attention to detail and meticulous organizational skills
- Strong writing and PowerPoint skills
- Strong influencing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct work and operate in a deadline-intensive environment
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Accredited Master’s Degree / JD
- Pharmaceutical experience
- Experience in project management including coordination with third-party stakeholders
- Willingness/ability to travel up to 20% domestically.
Learn more here
Lundbeck is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law, rule, or regulation. Lundbeck participates in E-Verify.
Job posted: 2020-05-22