Director of Food Policy
As Director, Food Policy, you will lead Consumer Reports’ advocacy efforts to realize a safer, healthier food system. Our goal is a marketplace in which people can shop for food with confidence, knowing the products they buy and the system used to produce them are safe and healthy, and food labels are truthful and meaningful. We work for marketplace change through: laws, regulations, and policies that put consumer’s interests first; industry practices that promote health and do not promulgate harm; and consumer empowerment. The Director, Food Policy will work in close collaboration with colleagues across CR as we seek to optimize the use of all our tools, including research, survey, testing, investigative and service journalism, mobilization, and advocacy.
This position can be located in either Washington, D.C. or San Francisco, CA.
Partner with the VP, Advocacy and senior leadership across the organization to develop and execute a long-term vision and strategy to empower and protect consumers in the food marketplace.
Use the scientific evidence generated by CR’s testing and research teams, and from other trusted sources, to develop effective positions and arguments in support of marketplace change.
Partner with colleagues across research, testing and insights, journalism, communications, development, and digital products to identify strategies where our expertise in testing, ratings, and other evidentiary findings, and our 6-million strong membership base, can help spur changes in the marketplace.
Serve as the advocacy representative on CR’s cross-functional Consumer Impact Area (CIA) team dedicated to Food Strategy to ensure strategic and operational alignment for maximum impact, including participation in ongoing design and implementation of CR’s strategic plan.
Ensure that CR is viewed as an influential leader in building a safer, healthier food system, and as a trusted resource for key food industry marketplace leaders, policy makers, and other influencers.
Serve as a thought leader on the food marketplace, helping internal and external audiences understand the risks and opportunities for consumers in emerging trends and ongoing challenges. Represent CR and the interests of consumers by speaking at events, testifying before Congress, and communicating to the press, funders, and partners.
Flexibility and strategically lead, support, or leverage legislative campaigns, corporate and consumer campaigns; external coalitions; partnerships with key retailers, producers, and food industry companies; and high dollar, strategic fundraising efforts.
Trains, recruits and manages staff with a focus on creating an innovative, collaborative, performance-driven culture.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or JD degree preferred.
- 10+ years of leadership experience, including 5+ years of senior leadership experience, preferably within non-governmental/civil society organizations or the public sector, with in-depth knowledge of food production and labeling regulatory policy and related industry issues.
- Deep, meaningful, and recognized subject matter expertise. You understand the science, scale, nuance, market players, consumer behaviors, and political discourse surrounding the issues.
- Demonstrated skills in a wide variety of settings, including an understanding of federal and state legislative and regulatory processes and corporate decision-making.
- Established connections with other organizations that work on food and consumer policy.
- A track record of accomplished success.
- A strategic leader with strong political acumen, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience building and working with distributed, participatory, community-driven leadership.
- An appreciation and understanding of the consumer movement and its potential impact on corporate and government policy, economic and social inequality, and environmental sustainability.
- Ability to effectively persuade others to listen, commit to, and act on new approaches, and to gain support from others without relying on positional authority.
- Demonstrated ability to speak, write and present information in a clear, concise and compelling manner that is tailored to a particular audience.
- Strong ability to forge solid working relationships with colleagues across the organization, as well as external partners.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent communication skills, including the ability to translate complex ideas into understandable written and oral statements.
At Consumer Reports, we’re building a diverse workforce that reflects our society, embraces new ways of thinking, celebrates a wide breadth of experiences, and reflects all of the audiences we serve. Inclusion means valuing the uniqueness that each staff member brings by creating an environment where everyone is welcome. Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported so that they’re set up for success.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-06