Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director for Community and Small Business Engagement
Who We Are
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded
in 1990, HF supports Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through grant making and direct
services in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment, and
the environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness, diversity, and empathy.
Who We Seek
The Hispanic Federation seeks a dynamic Director of Community and Small Business Engagement to
manage HF’s Economic Empowerment programmatic and advocacy efforts that aim to increase the
financial security of Latino families. The Director of Community and Small Business Engagement will report
to the Vice President for Community and Economic Development and supervise the work of HF’s Economic
Empowerment Program Coordinator. The Director will oversee the organization’s economic
empowerment portfolio including HF’s direct service programs: financial education series, hunger relief
operations, poverty reduction campaigns, small business supports, and workforce development
initiatives. The Director will also support advancing HF’s economic empowerment public policy advocacy
priorities and capacity building work.
Position Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Vice President for Community and Economic Development
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Small Business Support
• Serve as the first point of contact for community outreach; refer individuals to appropriate
services available to them and provide access to services.
• Oversee the coordination of virtual and in-person community workshops or forums.
• Lead community outreach and develop relationships; facilitate conversations and meetings
• Work closely with Hispanic Federation HQ and Economic Empowerment Team to oversee
community-based grants and promote services.
• Coordinate with partners to promote the program services to small businesses and local
• Support curriculum development and creation of community toolkits to serve as a template and
provide guidance to small businesses and nonprofits supporting them.
• Administer small business support services as needed.
• Support HF’s workforce development initiatives, including the implementation of an accelerator
for Latino non-profit organizations in the digital workforce development space.
• Activate additional workforce development initiatives including the implementation of digital
learning hubs and production of career events connecting job seekers to employment
opportunities and skills training resources.
• Ensure the high quality and success of Hispanic Federation’s Economic Empowerment programs
• Cultivate key relationships and partnerships with community leaders in Hispanic Federation’s
• Collect data and track impact of programs
• Maintain accurate records and manage program budgets, provide timely financial and program
activity reports on grants and program initiatives internally, comply with all reporting
requirements, and prepare programmatic reports for funders.
• Assist with other Hispanic Federation projects and initiatives as requested.
• Provide support for special events and projects (sometimes requiring additional hours worked)
• Willingness to travel
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Minimum of a BA/BS degree and demonstrated knowledge of community engagement work
within underserved low-income communities, preferably in small business and/or workforce
development program management.
• At least three (3) years of professional experience in non-profit program management, capacity
building, community outreach and/or advocacy work
• Strong ability to develop work plans, manage budgets, set deadlines, oversee multiple projects
and duties simultaneously, and prioritize assignments.
• Ideal applicants will be efficient, results-oriented with high energy and exhibit an exceptional
ability to work with others.
• Self-starter with ability to adapt to evolving situations.
• Strong commitment to Hispanic Federation’s mission and core values.
• Excellent, well-developed verbal and writing skills are essential.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
• Experience managing coordinators, interns, and volunteers preferred.
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$70,000 and is commensurate with experience.
Compensation includes fully subsidized medical, dental, vision insurance accessible on first day of
employment; access to flexible spending for medical and transportation; and a 403 (B) retirement plan
with a company match after 6 months of service.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
HF will adhere to all local, state, and federal vaccine requirements. HF requires vaccination against
COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability, medical
necessity or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable law will be considered upon
Please submit a résumé, cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications, via e-mail to
email@example.com with “Director of Community and Small Business Engagement” in the
subject line. No telephone calls.
For more information about the Hispanic Federation, go to www.hispanicfederation.org.
Hispanic Federation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against actual or
perceived race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, creed, disability,
marital status, sexual orientation and/or other protected categories
Job posted: 2023-08-29