Director, Global Communications
About the Team
The Communications team is responsible for telling the story of how DoorDash empowers local economies by connecting customers to the best of their communities. The team is a nimble, high-impact group that works cross-functionally with key business stakeholders, touching every corner of the organization. A roll-up-your-sleeves attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and out-of-the-box thinking, coupled with a true team spirit and the ability to juggle projects and priorities, are what makes this group so effective. This role on the team will require a deep understanding of international media relations, corporate, partnership, public affairs, and crisis communications, as well as consumer brand storytelling.
This is a unique opportunity to help build our brand globally from the ground up and be a part of a company changing how local economies thrive. Join us in our global mission to empower and grow local economies.
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Director of Global Communications to lead and coordinate communications strategy for our platform’s international efforts, anchoring messaging to the company’s mission and strategic narrative, while working closely with key internal stakeholders at HQ and in local markets to drive forward business objectives. This position will be based in our downtown San Francisco office (working from home remotely until it is safe to return to our offices).
This individual will:
- Oversee and manage communications launch plans from start to finish in new international regions and markets, as the go-to International comms resource and liaison for global team members and PR agencies in existing markets, including Canada and Australia
- Lead strategic global consumer, brand and merchant-focused campaigns that align with local market Audience Marketing, Marketplace and Enterprise business priorities
- Direct local market proactive media strategy and launches for DoorDash’s suite of products, innovations and new verticals that help to serve our consumers, merchants, Dashers and the communities in which we operate
- Develop strategic media engagement and execution strategy to elevate the company’s relationship with key industry trade and consumer media at the global level by telling the story of how DoorDash empowers local economies and connects customers with the best in their communities
- Collaborate with the HQ Communications team, international leadership, and local policy and public affairs agencies to provide consistent messaging and strategic guidance in support of regional policy objectives and effective engagement with third-party organizations and legislators
- Develop crisis communications playbooks to support local markets
- Manage and select in-country PR agencies
- Build, hire and lead a team of talented local market communicators (both in-house and agency) as we scale the business in new markets
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 10+ years of experience building and scaling international communications programs across consumer, B2B, corporate, policy and/or product, working with a diverse set of global media outlets
- You have 5+ years of proven experience hiring, managing and onboarding external agencies, along with building and leading teams in different markets and/or geographies
- You have deep experience developing strategic communications programs with a global mindset, researching and understanding cultural nuances and differing regulatory and policy environments
- You thrive working in fast-paced, fluid and challenging environments
- You’ve demonstrated senior leadership designing and executing strategic global communications plans in a large, complex organization with varied priorities
- You are comfortable advising senior leadership and executives
- You possess excellent people and project management skills, with the ability to lead and manage multiple time-sensitive projects under tight deadlines
- You take your work, but not yourself, seriously—and maintain a good sense of humor about both
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do — on every project, every day.
- We are learning – We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed – Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in more than 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States, Canada and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-28