Director, Global Communications, Media and External Engagement, Consumer
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we’re excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It’s set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
We are building a Global Communications function to transform how we manage, measure and strategically plan our global reputation activity
The Director, Media and External Relations, Consumer will be responsible for overseeing a team of media relations managers and supervisors in the development and execution of earned media strategies that engage customers with a primary focus on the U.S. market.
Reporting to the Senior Director for Media Relations and External Engagement, this person will serve as a senior media strategist to the U.S. business in addition to supporting global priorities. The consumer focused team includes work that supports, but is not limited to, U.S. brand engagement (marketing communications), community connection (e.g. RMHC, food donation), jobs, inclusion and empowerment (e.g. Archways to Opportunity) and food sourcing/quality efforts.
In addition to supporting key milestone news announcements, this person will lead the team in driving a media enterprise storytelling program to generate media coverage outside of key announcements and support the elevation of McDonald’s executive voices and SMEs across earned media.
To achieve these objectives, this Director will build trusted relationships with the Global Strategies and Campaigns and Strategic Communications Directors, and the U.S. communications team leadership.
U.S. Communications Team
- Work closely with U.S. communications team leaders to serve as senior media strategist for U.S. marketing communications, brand engagement, government relations/community programs
- Develop media strategies that support U.S. business priorities and marketing communications programs that target customers to drive restaurant visits and sales, reputation in the community and across key policymakers.
- Lead media relations managers and supervisors in a regular cadence of outreach and education to key customer, community and Washington, DC based media outside of key milestones
- Cultivate relationships with media and editors to support strategic storytelling.
Global Communications Team
· Serve as senior media strategist for food quality/sourcing and jobs, inclusion and empowerment initiatives across the corporation.
· Work collaboratively with Strategic Communications and Story Lab digital team to develop integrated strategies to leverage paid, social and digital content to drive message amplification.
· Support annual planning process for media relations and external engagement team.
· Closely follow external and internal developments that impact McDonald’s, the industry and corporations to inform development of media and communications strategies.
· Lead communications to key stakeholders within the business regarding media issues and competitor news.
· Lead team in development and implementation of strategy to cultivate and expand relationships with U.S. media and editors and global/regional editors.
Corporate Spokesperson Engagement
- Train, prepare and engage company subject matter experts and executive leadership with media.
- Work closely with Director of Executive Communications and U.S. communications to develop media engagement approaches for senior leaders and subject matter experts.
· Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, English, communications, business or liberal arts
· Significant experience leading consumer focused (market communications) earned media and public relations strategies in-house at a multi-national publicly traded company.
· Prior experience with people management.
· Significant on the record experience with media and ability to leverage existing relationships with consumer reporters and editors.
· Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives on earned media engagement and build trust within a highly matrixed organization.
· Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy.
· Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills.
· The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven.
· The ability to influence without authority and motivate others toward common objectives.
· A critical thinker with a bias for action; understands how to drive to clarity amidst ambiguity.
· Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation.
· Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, building relationships with reporters, and writing communications plans.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-27