Director – Global Government Affairs #20-56045
Sempra Energy is a California-based energy infrastructure company leading the energy transition and serving more consumers in North America than any other utility holding company. Our mission is to be North America’s premier energy infrastructure company, delivering affordable, reliable and increasingly decarbonized energy to the markets we serve, including California, Texas, Mexico and global power generation markets. We have consistently been recognized for our leadership in sustainability, and diversity and inclusion. Our company is the only US utility company named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. We are also a member of the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index and recently named one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for 2021 by Fortune Magazine, the eleventh consecutive year our company has received this honor. The Sempra Energy companies’ more than 18,000 employees are united by our vision to deliver energy with purpose and live our values every day — doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. Visit our sustainability report to learn more about our company, including our bold goals relating to achieving world class safety, championing people, driving resilient operations and enabling the energy transition: https://www.sempra.com/sustainability/sustainability-report
A career at Sempra Energy presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
This role will play a key role in advancing a just global energy transition, including reducing global emissions and addressing energy poverty, by working with the US government and international bodies to drive policies and relationships that support energy infrastructure that enables cleaner power generation and storage around the world. This role will represent Sempra Energy and its family of companies with domestic foreign affairs stakeholders and international NGO and government stakeholders on global energy, climate and financing initiatives; develop and manage the company’s advocacy programs on these issues; and maintain strong strategic relationships with members of Congress and their staff, executive branch offices, and specified federal agencies.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advocates on behalf of the company globally to foreign governments, and domestic executive branch offices and regulatory agencies.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with international organizations, officials and regulatory leaders.
- Supports internal process to track and assess legislative and regulatory policy, analyzes risks and opportunities.
- Assists with the development of policy positions and strategies to advance the interests of Sempra Energy and its business units.
- Supports federal permitting for company infrastructure projects and other business initiatives.
- Represents company at industry trade groups and develop extensive relationships with industry peers and other stakeholder groups.
- Manages consultants and other external resources as assigned.
- Participates in the planning and execution of Sempra Energy’s federal political and PAC strategy including budget draft, preparing funding requests, coordination and attendance at events.
- Provides input to business unit leaders and subject matter experts on political risks and counsel Sempra business units on their governmental and regulatory strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree economics, foreign affairs, political science, public administration and/or equivalent experience in international governmental or regulatory affairs required.
- Master’s degree economics, foreign affairs, political science, public administration and/or equivalent experience in governmental or regulatory affairs preferred.
- 10+ Progressive experience in foreign affairs, energy and/or climate policy and/or government affairs required
- 5+ Experience in the energy sector or on climate issues preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Writing skills with the ability to synthesize complex legislative and regulatory concepts into understandable and relatable terms.
- Negotiation skills aimed at bringing divergent opinions to the forefront to ensure understanding of all sides of an issue.
- Public Speaking skills – must be able to make remarks at formal events and make keynote presentations, lead communications with and among key officials in a manner strategically directed toward achieving desired outcomes and bring together diverse stakeholders in a productive manner around priority issues.
- Analytical skills – Ability to detect, assess and seamlessly respond to challenging situations in high profile settings.
- Interpersonal skills – ability to build and maintain positive and productive working relationships with and among key stakeholders including elected and appointed officials of which some may hold an unfavorable view of the company or its priorities.
- Influence and Strategy – ability to read an audience or group to understand risks and opportunities. Ability to negotiate and steer conversations to make all involved parties feel understood and respected while still pursuing key issues.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-16