Director, Global Patient Advocacy and Experience
Reporting to the VP, Head of Global Commercial Strategy, the Director of Global Patient Advocacy and Experience will be responsible for the development and implementation of a global advocacy and engagement strategy for Apellis, in addition to defining a best in class customer experience for patients, their caregivers and families.
The position will serve as the global face of Apellis to patient advocacy organizations and professional medical associations. Responsible and accountable for the development and implementation of a global advocacy strategy, as well as patient experience strategy for the defined therapeutic areas. This position will be responsible for building and leading a best in class patient advocacy presence and partnership. Responsible for positioning the company as the preferred partner for influential global patient and professional organizations within the defined therapeutic areas. S/he will partner with global medical team to maintain a consistent and coherent voice with the patient advocacy community as part of our overarching external community strategy; while also ensuring the needs of the business are met.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as primary point of contact to build and maintain collaborative partnerships with key patient advocacy and professional medical associations, working to prioritize the organizations with which to partner
- In partnership with cross-functional global and regional teams, develop innovative short- and long-term engagement strategy with patient advocacy groups and the communities they serve
- Identify opportunities for mutual collaboration such as increasing disease awareness and education, enabling earlier diagnosis, and supporting access to therapies
- Define and standardize best practices in advocacy relations; Based on a clear understanding of and empathy for the patient experience, design and create processes, systems, solutions, and tools that will contribute to the effectiveness and success of the patient advocacy plans
- Proactively, on an ongoing basis advocate Apellis priorities and objectives with senior leadership and opinion leaders at targeted associations with direct one-on-one meetings, as well as participation in industry focused society boards/committees
- Understand the mission and vision of each global advocacy organization in order to develop and recognize how to work most effectively with these partners
- Expected to determine the best mix of organizations based on the expertise of the identified therapeutic space
- Educate internal and external partners on global political and social trends affecting Apellis and the biotech industry
- Participate in brand planning and product team discussions to ensure the plans account for advocacy opportunities and leverage understanding of the organization’s needs
- Define a global patient experience approach that can be customized in different regions ensuring a consistent Apellis patient experience worldwide
- Be the internal consultant and voice to ensure patient experience is front and center and any customer-facing offerings align to the defined experience
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Registration & Certification:
- BS/BA degree in life sciences required; master’s degree desired
- 8+ years in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Significant experience in outreach and patient advocacy, and knowledge of public policy, government affairs, and local regulations.
- Experience in rare diseases is preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Deep understanding of the needs of people living with or at risk for developing rare diseases as well as pressing public health issues, including patients and caregivers
- Understanding of key trends affecting patient engagement and new forms of patient interactions (e.g. social media and online communities)
- High degree of professionalism, maturity, and confidentiality
- Cultural sensitivity and maturity to interact with people of diverse background
- Superior written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with different levels of management
- Comfortable working independently with supervision
- Highly organized, results driven, problem solver
- Highly motivated with the ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to execute and deliver quality programs within timelines Demonstrated reputation as a well-respected, dynamic team player
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time as needed
EEO Statement: Apellis is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local fair employment practices laws. Apellis strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, marital status, AIDS/HIV status, smoker/nonsmoker, and occupational pneumocononiosis or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-27