Director, Global Public Affairs
Washington, DC/Ottawa, Ontario
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of bringing quantum computing to market. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing.
D-Wave is the leader in quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our quantum cloud service, LeapTM, is the only cloud offering that delivers real-time access to a quantum computer (currently the D-Wave 2000Q) and a full suite of open-source programming tools. Leap now has hybrid capabilities that combine the power of quantum and classical computers, analogous to the way a CPU works with a GPU, enabling the solution of very large problems. Software tools make programming easy, in languages like Python.
D-Wave’s customers have developed more than 200 early applications of our quantum system. With the combined capabilities of the next generation system, Advantage™, and the recently introduced hybrid solvers, D-Wave’s customers will be able to deploy these capabilities to benefit their businesses.
D-Wave customers include large organizations like Volkswagen, DENSO, Lockheed Martin, Los Alamos National Labs, and Oak Ridge National Labs, as well as smaller companies working in logistics, financial optimization and drug design. Investors include PSP Investments, BDC, Goldman Sachs, NEC Corporation, and In-Q-Tel. D-Wave has been featured in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
In this role, you’ll reporting to our SVP of Marketing & Global Public Affairs to develop and deliver D-Wave’s global public affairs strategy. This includes the development of a comprehensive global strategy and execution plan, managing relationships with external agencies and influencers, and delivering upon the business impact of the public affairs strategy.
Initially, you’ll will work closely with US and Canadian government and quantum trade organizations to advance D-Wave’s business priorities and educate them on our value-proposition and technology, so it is clearly understood and valued by government decision-makers.
You’ll be instrumental in setting the stage to identify and unlock emerging government funds for quantum computing as well as other high-value profile-raising engagement opportunities. You’ll identify opportunities for collaboration, shift governments’ perceptions of D-Wave and quantum computing, participate actively in government consultations and industry association efforts and provide critical D-Wave insight on issues that have the potential to impact quantum computing in the US and Canada.
You will lead our DC efforts, work with D-Wave’s external agency in Ottawa, and lead the selection and management of public affairs agencies in other countries as is expansion appropriate. This role will require frequent travel to Washinton, DC, as well as trips to Vancouver, BC and Bellevue, WA (approximately 6 times per year).
- Support the work of SVP, Marketing and Global Public Affairs and work closely with the public affairs agencies that support these efforts on the development and implementation of a whole-of-government strategy and engagement plan
- Monitor legislative policy and regulatory activity that may affect the industry and D-Wave specifically
- Develop and guide Members of Congress (MoC), government departmental, Presidential, MP and Senator engagement strategies
- Utilize existing relationships to further critical contacts with senior officials and political staffers in key departments
- Draft government correspondence, pre-budget submissions, position papers, policy language, etc.
- Lead work on Canada-US relations for D-Wave (ex: Embassy staff, Trade Commissioners, etc.)
- Develop communications pieces and public policy positions focusing on the value of quantum computing as an innovation of the future for the competitiveness of the technology industry and the growing quantum ecosystem
- Identify opportunities and risks for D-Wave and provide recommendations
- Participate in government meetings, consultations, roundtables and conferences
- Manage and organize government meetings, events, receptions and Lobby Days
- 10-15 years in public affairs, including work in a federal political office and within a business public affairs organization
- Demonstrated success of working with and through third party public affairs agencies to drive and deliver against business goals
- Experience working cross-border to build region appropriate as well as global public affairs strategies
- Experience in government advocacy/ lobbying, including developing policy positions, drafting submissions, letters and position papers for government.
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Ability to understand multiple complex technologies and files in a fast-paced environment and articulate to government
- Understanding of the US and Canadian federal government legislative, regulatory and public policy process and the differences/similarities between them
- Deep relationships with technical teams in US and Canadian governmental agencies, policy makers and their offices
- Well-respected profile with network in Washington, DC; similar network in Ottawa, Canada is an asset
- Ability to balance strategy with flawless execution of programs to deliver upon business goals
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and on multiple complex issues
- Bilingual (French & English) is an asset
D-Wave Systems Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-07