Director, Government Affairs
The Raben Group is a public policy, strategic communications and organizational consulting firm. We were founded with a lofty goal and an audacious spirit: to make our nation greater by helping to shift public policy in a sensible, humane direction. We work intimately with policymakers and influencers in the nonprofit, corporate, foundation, and government sectors to identify shared interests, forge new connections, tackle our country’s most intractable problems, and uplift new generations of leaders and activists.
Now 100+ strong with offices across the country, we are proudly majority people of color and LGBTQ, and majority women, all of which affords us a unique perspective on public policy, and imbues us with the fierce urgency of now – we know why this work matters.
Spending any time with us, you quickly learn we value smarts, creativity, and audaciousness in our work, and for us, a sense of humor is a contractual must. Please learn more about Raben at rabengroup.com.
What We Need:
We seek a Director to join our Government Affairs and Policy Counsel practice group in our Washington, DC office primarily to support The Raben Group’s client teams and engagements. Directors have hands-on expertise, contextual knowledge, leadership abilities, and the tactical skills to advance the strategic mission and vision of The Raben Group and further the development and success of our Government Affairs and Policy Counsel practice group in providing excellent client services and engaging prospective clients.
Our successful candidate will have a high degree of initiative, personal resilience, attention to detail, project management skills, intellectual engagement in the subject matter at hand, and a concierge-like approach to client services.
- Client Relations: Lead or co-lead client engagements, or serve as government affairs and policy strategist on multidisciplinary teams; provide vision, creativity and strategy for clients, and ensure a high level of service delivery.
- Internal Engagement: Engage directly with internal teams and external clients, contributing to strategy and counsel, responding to requests, participating in on-site facilitation of trainings and workshops, and managing various aspects of service delivery.
- External Engagement: Manage scheduling and logistics of client and partner organization meetings, conference meetings, etc. Build awareness and excitement around client events and engagements.
- Business Development: Contribute to the firm’s business development efforts, to include leveraging existing relationships toward new engagements, and contributing to proposals and pitch interviews.
- Event Management: Manage the planning, coordination, and staffing of meetings, convenings, conference calls, panels, Lobby Days, etc., including – venue logistics, registrations, marketing and outreach, attendee and speaker communications, delegating on-site support, vendor management, etc.
- Contribute to the organizational goals of the firm’s Government Affairs and Policy Counsel practice group.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Raben Group finds it quite natural to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, living the values of diversity and inclusiveness in everything we do.
Our workforce is currently home-based due to COVID-19, but candidates should be based in the DC metro area or a commutable distance to effectively engage with our clients on the Hill and in the DC area once in-person events resume.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required, plus 5-7 years of experience on the Hill.
- Strong proficiency with internet research, Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required; professional experience with social media applications and web content management systems a plus.
- Ability to lead teams in development of governmental affairs and policy strategy and solutions.
- A collaborative and relationship-building mindset. Must be able to proactively identify potential challenges/conflicts and communicate with team members with a problem-solving approach.
- Strong writing, layout and editing skills; experience with desktop publishing tools.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are a non-negotiable requirement. Candidates must have the demonstrable ability to quickly produce clear, compelling written collateral and communicate professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff, clients, partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to thrive and manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable project and time management skills across multiple assignments with many moving parts.
Directors in Government Affairs can expect a base salary range of $70,000-85,000 per year, with a commission range between $30,000-50,000 per year, commensurate with expertise and client services experience. All new Directors at Raben take part in a commission guarantee program during their first year with the firm.
Learn more here
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-07-24