Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Government Affairs
Full Job Description
Washington Multi Family Housing Association is a small business in Renton, WA 98057. We are social and data-driven.
Our work environment includes:
- Food provided
- International workforce
Washington Multi-Family Housing Association (WMFHA) is hiring a proven leader to administer our government affairs efforts. You will assist in guiding, overseeing and implementing our legislative and political affairs strategy in the state and at local jurisdictions, making an immediate impact on rental housing.
Based in Renton, you will report to the Chief Executive Officer. You will work closely with the state lobbying team and public affairs team to design and execute our government relations strategy, including public relations, community outreach, and policy research to advance the interests of multifamily housing. Your expertise is needed in building relationships with state and local elected officials and policymakers to make WMFHA’s presence felt in city halls across the state.
Are you excited to:
- Craft and execute WMFHA’s legislative and political strategy at the state and local level with a focus on King County jurisdictions.
- Build relationships with elected officials and staff to promote WMFHA’s agenda.
- Represent WMFHA at state and local city council hearings, including by providing testimony.
- Assist in tracking ordinance changes in multiple jurisdictions and drafting detailed member updates.
- Monitor local government meeting calendars, agendas and committee meetings/hearings for issues impacting WMFHA membership.
- Participate in trade groups and industry associations on behalf of the association.
- Work with members of the team to mobilize rental housing providers in support of WMFHA’s political strategy.
- Work with the public relations team to design and execute effective media and public affairs campaigns.
- Craft policy solutions that serve business needs while meeting political realities.
- Assist in managing external political consultants.
- Coordinate with counterparts at peer organizations to build effective coalitions.
- Coordinate with industry trade associations to maximize industry impact.
- Develop a grassroots advocacy program.
- Participate with association team at events including an annual Day on the Hill advocacy event.
- Coordinate WMFHA’s Political Action Committee (PAC) and makes recommendations for candidate contributions and other expenditures from the PAC.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have a deep understanding of government relations, including effective lobbying strategies, grassroots organizing, and the mechanics of policymaking.
- You have 3+ years of experience serving in government at the state level or working directly on public policy issues for business clients.
- You thrive under pressure and have a proven ability to achieve hard-fought policy outcomes.
- You are a strong strategic thinker with polished written and oral advocacy skills.
- You are organized, collaborative, have initiative, and have a bias for action.
- You have been able to build relationships with elected officials in your career.
- You’re a fast learner and a self-starter; you’re intrinsically motivated but also an excellent teammate.
- You understand the nuance inherent in crafting political strategies and respect the confidential nature of this type of work.
- You have a BS or BA from an accredited university.
- Government or in-house experience.
- Direct policy experience in rental housing laws.
- Local-level experience, particularly in the Puget Sound region.
- Have been an elected official or lobbyist.
- Knowledge of multifamily rental housing.
Washington Multi-Family Housing Association is a statewide organization committed to:
- Advocating for legislation equitable to our industry and the community.
- Providing educational opportunities to promote career development.
- Celebrating and supporting the multifamily industry.
WMFHA is a non-profit member trade association of residential property management companies, managers, and owners of multifamily properties, apartment communities, and industry supplier companies. Working together, we promote and advance the multifamily housing industry in Washington to serve our valued residents.
WMFHA actively monitors and influences the legislative process to advocate equitably for our industry and the communities we serve. Our educational and career development programs include national professional accreditation courses, continuing education, and skills-building opportunities. Our industry events offer numerous opportunities for networking, learning, idea exchange, and relationship building with a robust network of multifamily housing professionals.
WMFHA is your trusted resource in the Washington State rental housing industry.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our association, industry, and cities. That’s why we strive to hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at WMFHA or in the rental housing industry. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Click here to obtain more information
Job posted: 2021-12-29