Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs
Party City Holdings, Inc. is the largest party goods supplier and party retail chain in the world. We are also the country’s premier retailer of Halloween costumes, accessories, and decorations. Party City Holdings is made up of two divisions, Party City Retail Group (PCRG) and AMSCAN Wholesale. At Party City Holdings, we like to have fun! We are helpful, passionate, and creative. We inspire our customers with exciting concepts, themes and ideas and provide everything they need to bring them to life. We make it easy to create unforgettable moments.
A role in Government Affairs means ensuring state and local government entities have positive relationships with Party City. You will act as an advocate on behalf of Party City and serve as an internal expert to both internal and external entities on a variety of key social and governmental issues that allow Party City to conduct business in the most productive way.
This role serves as Party City’s primary representative interacting with state and city elected officials to advocate for Party City’s interests on public policy. In addition to direct advocacy and engagement with lawmakers, this role also represents Party City on formal and informal boards, steering committees, working groups and coalitions that cover priority issue topics. Often partnering with senior Party City leaders, this role requires skills to inform and influence elected officials, as well as expertise on a wide range of public policy issues. This work is performed in a dynamic, sometimes volatile, and highly visible political environment that involves significant reputation and brand considerations.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain and deepen strategic relationships with high-ranking state and local elected officials, staff, and agencies in various jurisdictions, including California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Florida.
- Advocate on behalf of Party City at state capitols, city council meetings, environmental commission hearings and other public venues on policies that could influence the growth and competitiveness of the company
- Establish and maintain an intelligence-gathering strategy to proactively identify emerging trends to help the company navigate business decisions
- Strategically prepare and leverage business experts to advocate on Party City’s behalf, as appropriate
- Manage a network of business and trade association partners
- Attend industry events to manage and nourish relationships with trade associations, including state Retail Industry Leaders Association partners
- Maintain communication channels with trade associations to gather intelligence on legislative and political developments and provide feedback on proposed legislation
- Oversee budget for related memberships and sponsorships
- Oversee Party City’s use of contract lobbyists, where applicable
- Partner with Party City’s internal marketing and communications teams on grassroots activities, including calls to action, get-out-the vote, store and distribution center tours and other activations as needed
- Establish and maintain working relationships with business leaders across Party City to develop a working knowledge of their business, priorities, and strategies, and leverage that understanding and judgment to provide timely updates on policy developments that have an impact on their business
- Develop subject matter expertise on a wide range of policy issues, such as balloon legislation, single use plastics, data security, taxes, alcohol expansion, supply chain, store operations, financial services, energy and product safety, racial equity and provide insightful analysis on those issues with internal business partners
- Represent Government Affairs on internal, cross-functional teams as necessary
- Collaborate with Sustainability, Marketing, Communications, and other externally facing roles on issues of mutual interest throughout the region
- Enhance and develop Party City’s presence and reputation at industry conferences and leverage those conferences to build relationships with elected officials and other government affairs professionals
- Appropriately protect and leverage highly confidential information, including new product launches, new store opening locations and dates, store closing locations and dates, team member compensation information, team member demographic information, and material reputational and strategic announcements before they are made public
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Solid decision-making ability/Independent action
- Ability to conceptualize and manage research and analysis on priority policy issues
- Ability to apply retail and manufacturing knowledge to the analysis of public policy issues
- Ability to analyze and react to political trends at both the state and local level
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with senior leadership
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external partners and form cohesive plans and processes across diverse business groups
- Ability to travel as needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and experience in high stress environments.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6-10 years of experience in business or related field
- Advanced degree in a discipline or related field (advanced specialized degree may substitute for a portion of experience)
- Previous experience in the retail or manufacturing industry
- Previous experience dealing with balloons or single use plastics
- Previous experience and/or political relationships in the geographic territory
- Previous experience with policy analysis in areas relevant to retail or manufacturing
Job posted: 2022-01-08